[Vision2020] Wal-Mart meeting

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Tue Dec 20 13:02:33 PST 2005

I have to agree with Julie & Keely in that I'm very pleased with shopping at
Safeway, and at Rosauers, too, and I still miss Tidymans <sigh>.  While
there have been a few occasions at both Safeway & Rosauers when checkout
took longer than I'd have liked, it was the exception rather than the rule.
Back when I shopped at Wal-Mart, however, checkout always took ***way*** too
long.

With respect to prices, I also have to agree with Keely  :-)  And, I have to
add that my daughter & I managed to survive back in the days when I was poor
and there was no Wal-Mart.

But, perhaps that's because the shopping habits I learned growing up and
followed as a smart but very poor consumer.  I shopped the ads, tried to
plan meals around what's on sale, compared prices, and stocked up on staples
when prices were good.  This works particularly well in Moscow since the
stores (with the exception of the Palouse Mall) are relatively close since
Moscow is relatively small.  Even when I was *really* financially strapped,
I was able to eat pretty well, and now that I don't *have* to count every
penny (literally), old habits die hard & still work well  :-)

Certainly transportation factors in & I realize I was fortunate that I had
good friends I could catch rides with when I had no transportation.

Nonetheless, with all the talk about how "expensive" Safeway is, I'm
wondering if smart shopping is a skill others never learned?

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2005, Saundra Lund.
Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside the Vision 2020 forum
without the express written permission of the author.*****