[Vision2020] The Christmas Story and Other Redeeming Myths

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 23:23:32 PST 2005

On 12/19/05, Michael <metzler at moscow.com> wrote:

> I agree with your analysis here, but for one point.

> We are talking about the story of the Eternal Creator of everything humbling 'himself' and
> becoming a baby for the purpose of recreating the entire cosmos—dirty
> diapers and all.

I don't mean to offend, but such a story is so far outside my realm of
consideration that I don't know whether to laugh or cry when it dawns
on me that you are equating the ludicrous with the impossible.

I know one thing absolutely: "Shit happens."  To re-phrase, things
change.  All of the rest I build from that single conjecture.  The
conjecture may be wrong, but for me it is axiomatic.  "Shit happens."
I don't try to find a reason for shit happening.  I am looking for no
author, no grand plan, no goal.  I spent decades looking for that
reason, that author, that plan, that goal.  I was looking for the
great "why."  Now I consider "why" to be a foolish question, in the
final scheme of things.  "How" is the question we should be asking.
It is much more useful in a pragmatic, immediate way.

I'll trade the word "shit" for "stuff" for the remainder of this post.
 Stuff happens because it happens.  Stuff happens  because it is the
only possibility.  The impossible has never happened.  It can't happen
 -- that's what makes it impossible.

Do I get a redundancy award for the above paragraph?

My tightly constructed world doesn't have room for a baby with dirty
diapers recreating the entire cosmos, where an idea earns
believability points because it is absurd.  That would allow me to
believe anything at all, without discretion, which is what too many
people do, which I submit is one of the biggest flaws in the universe.
 If there is a God, maybe He/She/It left this flaw in, so that we
could believe in Him/Her/It.