[Vision2020] Michael Metzler and the Incarnation

Michael metzler at moscow.com
Mon Dec 19 22:58:57 PST 2005

Dr. Gier Wrote:

For someone who appears to be committed to the practice of "analytic
philosophy," where logical precision is the sine qua non, your extremely
fuzzy attempt to resolve the issue is very disappointing indeed.  Of course
you can resolve the paradox by redefining deity and humanity, but, if we are
doing philosophical theology, that's just plain cheating.

Before you redefined "God," I would have agreed with you that Calvin was not
God, but now we simply can't know anything at all. If, as you say, the
"categories of God and man had in many ways been blown apart" by the
Incarnation, then all categories are destroyed and any philosophical
discussion is impossible.

Me:

My point was actually a very precise one; nothing fuzzy about it.  The
Incarnation was in its essence a cosmic event that 'redefined God and
humanity.'  This is not cheating, but rather explanation of the very meaning
of the Christian Incarnation.  To say that "the categories of God and man
had in many ways been blown apart" does not entail that "all categories are
destroyed."  My phrase "in many ways" and the poetic nature of "blown apart"
is sufficient enough to reject this interpretation. And now that I'm well
into this paragraph, I gather that you are not correct in asserting that now
"any philosophical discussion is impossible." And I never agreed to "do
philosophical theology," but rather to further an argument.  Few of us here
are philosophical theologians; but we're all rational beings.

Feel free to argue for the fact that the very meaning of 'human' and 'God'
could not be inherently changed in the act of the Incarnation.

Thanks!

Michael Metzler