[Vision2020] Prison system

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 15:21:24 PST 2005

On 12/19/05, Reynolds, James <jreynold at vetmed.wsu.edu> wrote:

>  As a beginning on questioning the prison dilemma in Idaho allow me to
> frame some initial questions.
>

>    1. Are we spending too much on our detention system?
>
> Yes. This is because of #2: We're imprisoning too many people.

>    1. Are we imprisoning too many people?
>
> Yes. Mandatory minimums are idiotic, and reduce both prosecutorial and
judicial discretion.

>    1. Is it cheaper to parole non-violent offenders?
>
> Yes. Unfortunately, because of mandatory minimum setencing, it's not the
non-violent offenders that are getting paroled; it's the violent offenders.
You are likely to serve more time for posession with intent to sell
methamphetamine than second-degree rape.

>    1. Is rehab cheaper than imprisonment?
>
> Yes. Even inpatient rehabilitation is cheaper than imprisonment. Drug
court, a drug diversion program, is effective and, importantly, reasonably
cheap. It allows people with substance abuse issues but without other
substantial criminal behavior to continue contributing to society during
their rehabilitation.

The problem with cutting perks is that, to control prisoners, wardens have
carrots and sticks. Take away all the carrots, and all you have left are
sticks. This is not a healthy way to run a prison system for either the
jailed or the jailors.

Start cutting, but talk to the people running the jails first.

-- ACS