[Vision2020] Dougs downtown cathedral? (was NSA Zoning Trouble)

Scott Bauer ds_bauer at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 19 12:13:07 PST 2005

  Visionaries,

Joan is correct. I have appended below an excerpt from the Christ Church Heads of Households Meeting Minutes, dated March 4, 2003. You can see that less than two years ago, Christ Church had ambitious plans for Garts. And judging from the Christ Church sermon notes (below), Doug Wilson’s ambitions encompassed far more than Garts.

Scott

“The deacons gave a power point presentation on the Garts Building, It is 1500 square feet larger than the fieldhouse. It will hold 800 people with chairs, 1200 with pews. The cost of purchase is approximately $1 million. Mark Wintz gave an overhead look at the floor plan. The cost of remodel would be $200,000-300,000. Garts lease expires in October 2004.” (Christ Church Heads of Households Meeting Minutes, dated March 4, 2003)

“In the 60s, my father wrote a small but enormously influential book called The Principles of War. In it, he applied the principles of physical warfare to what he called strategic evangelism. This idea of warfare is necessary in order to understand a central part of what is happening here, and by this I mean the concept of the decisive point. A decisive point is one which is simultaneously strategic and feasible. Strategic means that it would be a significant loss to the enemy if taken. Feasible means that it is possible to take. New York City is strategic but not feasible. Bovill is feasible but not strategic. But small towns with major universities (Moscow and Pullman, say) are both.” (Christ Church sermon notes, December 28, 2003)