[Vision2020] Logical vs. physical impossibilities

Michael metzler at moscow.com
Mon Dec 19 15:29:25 PST 2005

Hi Dr. Gier,

Yes, I've insulated myself in my own blog a bit, and I'm still behind in my
work.  So I want to wait on the problem of evil.  However, regarding your
article, I'll bite.  The article was long.  Although I read fast and not
every bit of it, I think perhaps I have an initial response.  I think the
following addresses the main points of the article:

Jesus was God, but the God who was now incarnate, a 'new' God if you will.
And God was now human, but not human in terms of the old world, but in terms
of the new world of the incarnation.  Categories of God and man had in many
ways been blown apart.  The cosmos is not static in nature and neither is
the Trinity; timeless categories transposed into syllogisms are
philosophically problematic at this point.  Calvin didn't like the idea of
'new God,' but we can agree that Calvin wasn't God.

Brian McLaren in A Generous Orthodoxy said this:

"This full, radiant, glorious experience of God in Jesus Christ eventually
revolutionized the whole concept of God, so that the word God itself was
reimagined through the experience of encountering Jesus, seeing him act,
hearing him speak, watching him relate, and reflecting on his whole career."

So what do you think of that?

And by the way all, for the last couple months my wife and I have been
talking about how much we wish Moscow had an Olive Garden.

Merry Christmas,

Michael Metzler

Hi Michael,

Glad to have you back.  Your brief absence almost made me think that you had
left us to play in your own sandbox at PoohThink.

I beg to differ with you on the logic of the Incarnation.  The proposition
that God became human and remained fully God and fully human is a logically
impossibility parallel to the illogic of a round square.  I've laid out all
my problems in my chapter "The Myth of God Incarnate" at
www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/gre3.htm.

I challenge you to respond to my arguments, but don't forget you also
promised to address my arguments on God and evil.

Merry Christmas,

Nick Gier