[Vision2020] Saturday's paper

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Sun Dec 18 13:19:53 PST 2005

Saundra asks:

"Isn't the purpose of bail just to make sure the defendant shows up for trial, *not* to
act as a punishment before guilt is determined?"

There are several factors to be considered in setting bail.  One of them is the probability of danger to the community if the defendant is released.  Another is the probability of the risk of flight.  Another is the strength of the prima facie case shown.

W.