[Vision2020] Narnia

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sun Dec 18 13:23:50 PST 2005

Chas raises some good points, and I know I've been criticized for letting my
kids see some of the movies they saw when they were younger.  Neither has
problems with nightmares and  their literary and film tastes are fairly
sophisticated for their ages.  Still, I think Kong is a bit much for the
preschool age group.  On the other hand, parents and grandparents know their
kids best.

The guidelines in our household is that we avoid sexually degrading,
gratuitously violent, overly scatological and stupid movies.  All
subjective, of course -- there are some "R" rated movies that I have let my
kids see ("Waiting For Guffman" is one of our favorites), and some PG-13s I
would and have put my foot down on.  Anything that focuses on drunken
teenage boys bedding as many cute blonde girls as possible while making
parents look stupid is a no-go, and movies that show violence as sport and
without consequence are, too, no matter how "cool" the effects.

Anything from the LaHaye "Left Behind" franchise is also prohibited, we
didn't see "The Passion of the Christ," and the only version of "A Christmas
Carol" worth watching is the 1952 one with Alistair
Sim ... on that, I'm pretty dogmatic!

keely