[Vision2020] Hard to Stay Civil in Face of Lies (Molly Ivins)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Dec 17 08:55:35 PST 2005

>From the Opinion section of today's (December 17, 2005) Spokesman Review -

Lack of credibility from Bush and others on Iraq tries her patience, Molly
Ivins says.

Hard to stay civil in face of lies

Creators Syndicate
December 17, 2005

As one on the liberal side of the chorus of moaners about the decline of
civility in politics, I feel a certain responsibility when earnest,
spaniel-eyed conservatives like David Brooks peer at us hopefully and say,
"Well, yes, there was certainly a lot of misinformation about WMD before the
war in Iraq, but ... you don't think they, he, actually lied, do you?"

Draw I deep the breath of patience. I factor in the long and awful history
of politics and truth, add the immutable nature of pols - fish gotta swim,
birds gotta fly - and compare Tonkin Gulf, Watergate and Iran-Contra with
the piddly Curveball and Niger uranium. I prepare to respond like a
reasonable person - "Of course not actually lie, per se, in the strict
sense" - and then I listen to another speech about Iraq by either the
president or the vice president and find myself screaming, "Dammit, when
will they quit lying?"

I realize this is not helping the cause of civility. On the other hand,
sanity has its claims, as well.

I have been listening with great attention to the series of speeches Present
Bush has lately given on his newly revealed "Plan for Victory." Of course I
was pleased to learn we have a plan for a victory, which consists, it turns
out, of announcing: "We cannot and will not leave Iraq until victory is
achieved. ... We will settle for nothing less than complete victory. ... We
will never accept anything less than complete victory."

Unfortunately, the White House claims it produced this once supposedly
secret plan in 2003, when it is actually a public-relations paper written
less than six months ago, which is pretty much the way things go
credibility-wise these days.

It has long been clear that this administration thinks it can spin reality
to a blue-bellied fare-thee-well, but isn't it a little late for this kind
of thing?

Of course, it's an awkward time to be a doom-and-gloomer, too. Who wants to
remind everyone this isn't working just when all those brave Iraqis have
risked their lives to vote again? Of course democracy is a grand thing.
Unfortunately, a vote - no matter how overwhelming - has never yet created
an operative military brigade.

Bush claimed in his Naval Academy speech that 80 Iraqi army and police
battalions are fighting alongside American units, while another 40 are
taking the lead in fighting. But last summer, military leaders told Congress
that three of the 115 Iraqi battalions are capable of fighting without U.S.
help, and in October Gen. George Casey, the American commander in Iraq,
lowered that to one.

Of course all Texans are raised on the "Never retreat, never surrender"
model, but it does ring just a little hollow when the administration's own
plans for a draw-down of troops are dominating the news. I mean, we can
define "complete victory" down as far as Bush wants, as far as I'm
concerned, but this ain't exactly facing reality.

So as not to completely abandon my colleagues still yearning for civility,
it is only fair to point out that Bush and even Cheney are making some
progress. For one thing, they now acknowledge reconstruction is not going
entirely smoothly, a refreshing degree of candor, given that the oil
production and electricity in Iraq both remain below pre-war standards.

Also, Bush now acknowledges we are fighting more than just terrorists. In
fact, most of the people we're fighting are themselves Iraqis who don't like
us being there. The fact that their government has asked us to leave is
still politely passed over. I wouldn't expect Bush to bring up how much this
has already cost us, but it is at $277 billion so far, with at least another
$100 billion to come.

It does seem a little silly, though, to call for "complete victory" without
acknowledging that the war itself is not going well. The number of attacks
on American and Iraqi troops per day, rather a clear indicator, simply grows
steadily worse. Rep. Jack Murtha, who is very close to the military, says
insurgent incidents over the past year have increased from 150 per week to
over 700 per week.

Bush's claims on reconstruction are likewise mind-boggling. It's not "fits
and starts" - there are rampant overcharges, corruption, lack of oversight -
it is a zoo. At least $8 billion the United States provided Iraq's Coalition
Provisional Authority is unaccounted for, and Halliburton alone has already
been accused of $1.4 billion in unreasonable and unsupported charges.

One night in mid-September, George W. stood in New Orleans' Jackson Square,
with the floodlit facade of St. Louis Cathedral in the background. He
promised help for housing, education and job training: "The work that has
begun in the Gulf Coast region will be one of the largest reconstruction
efforts the world has ever seen. ... And tonight I also offer this pledge of
the American people: Throughout the area hit by the hurricane, we will do
what it takes, we will stay as long as it takes to help citizens rebuild
their communities and their lives."

Hey, you know, another mission accomplished.

Take care, Moscow.

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil
and steady dedication of a lifetime."

--Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.