[Vision2020] todays Daily News

Shelly CJs at turbonet.com
Sat Dec 17 11:02:59 PST 2005

I would like to state that I do not recall stating this sentence to the
paper??? Besides - I have no clue what it means or refers to? Remember this
interview was 5 days ago.
“Nobody that we know of has tested positive,” she added. She is unsure if
all seven have been tested yet. - Megan Doyle
___________________________
Three more cases arise from HIV arrest; Police, health department urge
possible victims to come forward

By Megan Doyle, Daily News staff writer

CJ’s owner Shelly Roderick believes HIV-positive Kanay Mubita was a club
hopper prior to his Dec. 7 arrest for failing to inform his sexual partners
of his HIV status.
Mubita, 31, of Moscow, worked security at CJ’s, a club in downtown Moscow, a
few years ago, Roderick said.
“He worked for a few weeks, he was fired,” she said, adding she could not
remember exactly why he was fired. He frequented the club as well as others
in the community for years.
The Moscow Police Department, North Central Idaho Health District and at
least one club owner in Moscow are joining forces in response to Mubita’s
arrest.
Women who had sexual contact with Mubita are encouraged to call both the
police and the health district, which will run free HIV tests.
“Without the backing of all the entities that are involved in this whole
thing, I wouldn’t be as passionate as this,” Roderick said.
She fears the majority of girls won’t be tested because they’re afraid of
the answer.
Seven counts have been brought against Mubita, representing seven different
women, Latah County Deputy Prosecutor Michelle Evans said. Three other
victims have been confirmed and police are investigating the cases.
“Nobody that we know of has tested positive,” she added. She is unsure if
all seven have been tested yet.
“Counseling will be provided for those folks and if it is determined they
are at risk, they also will be tested,” said Darce Vassar, spokeswoman for
the North Central Idaho Health District.
The human immunodeficiency virus leads to AIDS, usually after a person is
infected for an average of 10 years, according to the health district. HIV
is most commonly spread through unprotected sexual contact with an infected
person, but also can be transmitted through sharing needles and razors,
blood transfusion, body piercing or tattooing equipment or other blood
exposure. The virus cannot spread through casual contact such as shaking
hands or hugging.
Mubita will have a preliminary hearing on the felony charges Tuesday. He is
being held in the Latah County Jail on a $20,000 bond.
Mubita could be sentenced to a maximum of 15 years in prison, said Moscow
Police Assistant Chief David Duke.
“This is the first time that I’m aware of that we’ve actually filed this
charge,” he added. The law about the transfer of body fluids was established
in Idaho in 1988.
More counts can and may be filed against Mubita, Duke said.
Megan Doyle can be reached at (208) 882-5561, ext. 237, or by e-mail at mdoyle at dnews.com.