[Vision2020] Women kicking butt (was: Aeon Flux and King Kong)

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 15 17:40:09 PST 2005

On 15 Dec 2005, at 16:25, Chasuk wrote:

> Aeon Flux was fun, and Charlize Theron looked wonderful in black
> leather.  I'm a self-confessed fan of women-who-kick-ass-believably
> films.  The original Charlie's Angels and Police Woman failed the
> believability test, but the Drew Barrymore Charlie's Angels films were
> awesome (the first one, at least).
>
> My favorite women-who-kick-ass-believably film is Sin City.  I'm
> drooling for the sequels already.  Of course, there is that scene from
> Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, in which our 98 pound heroine takes on
> zillions of guys and wins.  I loved that scene!  On second thought, I
> might have just described the whole movie.
>
> Battle Angel Alita is an anime that you might like, Joan.  James
> Cameron is slated to make a live-action version.  Sort of a
> Japanese-style Dark Angel.  I loved Dark Angel.  And I love Alias.
> Then of course there is Adrenalynn, the probably-scrapped film in
> which Christina Ricci was going to play/will play an "orphan turned
> into a half human-half cyborg, programmed to destroy" (from IMDB).  O
> course, Natalie Portman was great as the junior wannabe assassin in
> The Professional...
>
> And Drew Barrymore is still apparently developing Barbarella!

I agree with all of Chasuk's picks, and I'll check out Angel Alita.  I
used to think anime was, as my brother-in-law Lew once said, Japanese
for "bad cartoon," but I've since mended my ways.  I got hooked on
Witch Hunter Robin, and Hiyao Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Howl's Moving
Castle) is a genius.  Here are a few other
women-kicking-butt-realistically films I enjoy:

Tomb Raider, both the first and the second.
Mr. and Mrs. Smith -- Angelina Jolie, again.
Underworld -- Kate Beckinsale; lots of black leather; no CGI.  Very
realistic-looking action sequences.
Constantine -- sure, Keanu Reeves is theoretically the star, but Tilda
Swinton as the Angel Gabriel owns that film.
The Mummy Returns -- Rachel Weisz and Patricia Valasquez duking it out
dressed only in paint!
Any movie starring Pam Grier
The Avengers TV series with Diana Rigg as Emma Peel -- Dame Rigg
invented kicking ass.
And, finally, how could we forget, Sigourney Weaver as Ripley in Alien
and Aliens?  (I'm pretending that the third and fourth films in that
series were never made.  Why?  Because they SHOULD never have been
made.  Ridley Scott and James Cameron said all there was to say, and I
want Ripley to remain burned in my psyche as Motherhood Triumphant, the
Wingede Victory in outer space.)

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com