[Vision2020] HIV/AIDS

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 12:43:38 PST 2005

On 12/13/05, Art Deco <deco at moscow.com> wrote:

> Without pointing fingers, there has been some misinformation posted on
> this forum concerning the seriousness of being HIV positive.  Here is some
> information:
>
> General information:
>
> http://globalhealth.org/view_top.php3?id=227
>
> http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pubs/facts.htm

This is all good stuff. I encourage anyone with an interest in HIV, and
especially HIV policy in the United States, to have a look at htis.

 Effect on life expectancy:

> http://www.guardian.co.uk/aids/story/0,7369,751317,00.html
>
> http://www.globalhealth.org/sources/view.php3?id=668
>
>  www.un.org/esa/population/publications/adultmort/Vidaurre_paper7.pdf

This is all information on third world HIV mortality rates, Art, and you
knew that before you posted it.

The tragedy of third world HIV infection is not that HIV has no effective
treatment. It is that HIV is not being treated effectively. While some
countries, like Brazil, have decided to flout international patent law to
produce their own stocks of HIV medications, other countries -- ones whose
economic development is more chained to the World Bank and the IMF -- do not
have the same options. Botswana, where 40% of all adults are HIV positive,
has a per capita income of $4,000. A yearly course of Combivir, an HIV drug
which still needs to be taken in combination with a protease inhibitor,
costs a western patient $8,400.

Do the math. They are dying because they are poor and sick, not because
they're just sick.

-- ACS