[Vision2020] Re: Kanay and the Law

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Tue Dec 13 11:01:01 PST 2005

Pat's right only insofar as she suggests that HIV transmission in Africa is
primarily heterosexual.

What she seems not to understand is that the situation in Africa has to do
with the inherent sexism and class oppression there that renders women
uneducated, powerless, and victims of a socio-sexual patriarchy.  Women in
Moscow who had sexual contact with this man have considerably more personal
power and social support than their HIV-affected sisters in Africa.  The
"behavior" in Africa that Pat speaks of is certainly immoral, but has much
more to do with widespread devaluing of women than bed-hopping -- a fact
that she surely must recognize.

That said, my heart breaks and my prayers are offered for any woman, or any
man, infected with HIV -- regardless of how they got it.  Period.

keely