[Vision2020] A response to John D's Troll on Iraq

John D johnd550 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 12 08:56:36 PST 2005

Phil Nisbet <pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com> wrote:

  > First, Why are you so adverse to ‘nation building’? Are you saying to us
  > that we should never be opposed to the actions of a dictator or what that
  > totalitarian does within the borders of their country?

  We should always be opposed to dictators. That is also what I said. I  said "Should these people be removed from power too? I think they  should."

  > If you think that we should not ever engage in Nation Building, then I would
  > have to assume that you opposed boycotts to end Afrikaaner Aparteid, that
  > you would have opposed the Marshall Plan at the end of WW II and that you
  > opposed US intervention in Bosnia and Kosovo?

  I am not opposed to opposition to Apartheid.
  I would have strongly supported the Marshall Plan. It has helped  establish the European Union, the best guard against future military  conflicts in Europe.
  I would have prefered UN intervention in the Balkans to NATO intervention.

  > Some of the countries and people’s you list are repressive, but they are not
  > engaged in genocide or other acts against humanity.

  Probably true. Some of them probably also don't have weapons of mass destruction.

  > On some of the list, however, the President/Generals you list are indeed
  > involved in actions that violate the Genocide Treaty. So are you suggesting
  > that we should not act to halt Genocide? Or is it that you do not wish to
  > ‘nation build’ once a genocidal totalitarian dictator is deposed?

  We should absolutely act agains genocide. Nation building should be a UN guided effort.

  > And of course, any situation in which a minority is oppressed or in which a
  > minority oppresses a majority would not be opposed by you. So the 250,000
  > murdered East Timorese should just be forgotten? Should Rhodesia and White
  > South Africa be returned to their previous status quo?

  Oppressing a minority should absolutely be opposed. We should never  forget victims of genocide. Rhodesia and white South Africa should not  be returned to their previous status quo.

  The point of my list of dictators was that the argument for invading  Iraq that Sadam was a 'mean guy' doesn't work in light of all the other  mean guys that remain undisturbed.