[Vision2020] Kanay Mubita

TIM RIGSBY tim.rigsby at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 10 09:10:44 PST 2005

As much as I wanted to stay out of this discussion I felt obligated to
mention some brief history on Kanay and his presence in Moscow.  I first met
the guy while working for a local lumber store.  This was shortly after he
moved to Moscow and shortly after he married a local Moscow girl.  Kanay
shared with me some great stories, beautiful photos of his hometown and
family, and a good friendship.  While working with Kanay it was apparent to
me and others that he was starting to fall apart.  Aside from his start of
ruining his liver by drinking, Kanay was suffering through depression and
starting to head down the path of divorce.

Not long after Kanay was fired from his job, his brother died back in
Africa, his marriage failed, he was having trouble finding and keeping work,
and he started drinking heavily.  Concerning his brother, Kanay told me on
two or three occasions that his brother had died from AIDS.  I also heard
from others that his brother died in a car accident, either way, losing a
brother that is half a world away has got to be hard.  Family means a lot to
Kanay and Kanay felt as though his family in Moscow was the local bar scene.
  Right at the same time as his brothers death, Kanay got divorced.  He had
a lovely wife and a modest home, however, their marriage just did not last.
Kanay also worked odd jobs from being a cook to working construction but
spent most of his money at the bars.

Kanay's drinking lead him to trouble which ultimately made Kanay even more
depressed than he was already.  Many could often times see Kanay at John's
Alley, Gambinos, The Corner Club, The Garden, Mingles, and pretty much
anywhere that served alcohol.  He drank and drank a lot and with his
drinking came many problems.  On more than one occasion I saw Kanay being
asked to leave a bar because of his drunken behavior.

With the recent press that Kanay has received, Moscow potentially has a
small HIV epidemic on its hands.  As small a town as Moscow is and as
sexually active as many are in college, it won't surprise me if a few if not
many more people become infected.  Many may already be infected and just
don't realize.  But what can Moscow do?  They cannot feasibly test every
person in he county.  However, it is my understanding that someone is
working on a grant for monies that will help provide reduced or free tests
to anyone who feels they need one.  I hope that the Latah health district,
Gritman, and any other local medical doctors or authorities will reach out
to those men and women who feel as though they may be infected.  Keely
mentioned keeping Kanay in your prayers, as great as this sounds, I would
hope people kept everyone that Kanay had contact with in their prayers as
well as an HIV problem would not be very good for anyone let alone Moscow as
a whole.

Now that Kanay has been arrested, maybe he will get both the medical and
social treatment that he has lacked for so long.  Hopefully Kanay will
receive alcohol rehab, medical treatments, and other services to help him
get his life in order.  Please support your neighbors, medical personnel,
and other local authorities while Moscow deals with this very serious health
issue.

Tim

peace; it does not weaken, but strengthens. Revolution does not cause
separation; it generates togetherness. <BR>-John Africa, <EM>Strategic
Revolution</EM></div></html>