[Vision2020] Playfields

Ben Twigg bentwigg at turbonet.com
Fri Dec 9 10:03:08 PST 2005

Visionaries,

The original/current playfields project plan includes two Babe Ruth baseball
fields, two Cal Ripken baseball fields, two full-sized soccer fields, and
one football/lacrosse/soccer field, providing a total of seven fields
without any overlap.

It is my understanding that the "compromise plan" offered by Jim and Sue
Calvert and designed by Brenda Cowen includes two Babe Ruth baseball fields
and two multi-purpose fields, providing a total of four fields with overlap
(each multi-purpose field overlaps one of the baseball fields).

According to a Nov. 4 Daily News article featuring the compromise plan, the
Calverts were/are part of a committee that proposed the compromise plan. I
have several questions regarding this committee and its work:

1. How many members did/does the committee have? What are the members'
qualifications for assessing playfields needs?

2. Which local youth sports coaches and/or directors of youth sports
programs were included on the committee and/or consulted in the design
process?

3. What procedures did the committee use to assess Moscow's needs for
additional playfields? Similarly, how did the committee arrive at the number
of each type of field included in its proposal?

4. According to the Daily News article, "Overlapping the fields is feasible
because soccer and baseball do not occur during the same season." In my
experience there is quite a bit of overlap between youth soccer and baseball
programs in Moscow. Has the committee studied ways to reduce the number of
conflicts between these programs (and others, such as football and
lacrosse)? Has the committee formed recommendations regarding which
groups/events will have highest priority for use of the fields when
conflicts arise?

I am concerned that this committee's proposal does not adequately address
the needs of youth sports program in Moscow. However, I truly appreciate the
efforts of Ms. Rowen, the Calverts, and their fellow committee members to
work toward compromise, and I mean no disrespect toward them with my
questions. (For all I know, they are world-renowned experts on these
matters, in which case I will gladly defer to them!) I would appreciate any
light anyone could shed on these issues. Thank you.

Ben Twigg