[Vision2020] Playfields

Reynolds, James jreynold at vetmed.wsu.edu
Fri Dec 9 07:48:35 PST 2005

As an overview, and to not let the issue die on the bush, I will
reiterate my position on the plans for ball fields. First the Mantra of
"for the children" is not applicable for this project. There are many
views of what is good for our children and my personal view is that this
ill-conceived plan is not good for our children. The location has only
one access that will with certainty turn into a safety hazard when
multiple games are being played and folks are coming and going.  A much
safer alternative would be the alternative plan proposed by the Calverts
because by limiting the number of fields, the number of cars coming and
going will also be reduced. A better plan yet would be to put the hold
on this playfield plan until the access is improved. The site will still
be there when the town expands and alternative routes are worked into
the area. Harkin's idea to reroute 95 around that side of town is a
commendable solution for the access problem but of course will take
years to affect since the routing of 95 is controlled by the State not
the city.

Another part of this plan that I disagree with is the cost as projected
by the city. Much better use could be made of 2.9 million dollars for
our children's benefit. We could reroute that 2.9 million to our school
district and support a levy for the construction of a new High-school
and a new Grade-school that would each have playfields associated with
them. This would give us new playfields which is what we are after and
new facilities for our children's education as well. Supporting the levy
would give most people what they are after and our children would be
secured in a much safer environment overseen by professionals.

The site of interest, I think, was a good purchase for the city. The
time for its development though, should be later...after the access
issues are remedied. In the meantime we could have more fields for the
kids if we supported a levy for the new schools. Let's take care of our
children's needs.

James Reynolds

1424 Borah ave.