[Vision2020] Making the switch to a local ISP

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 7 16:34:06 PST 2005

Dear Visionaries,

A few days ago, Kevin Owen, the owner of First Step Internet, contacted
me via email with a challenge: it was a very polite and courteous
challenge, but he asked me, "If you really want to promote and support
local business, why don't you support ours?  Why do you use Earthlink's
as your ISP?"  It was a damn good question, and I gave it considerable
thought.  I had tried First Step about 2 years ago, but the dial-up
service was spotty out where I live, halfway between Moscow and Troy.
More recently, my brother-in-law, who lives just up the hill from us,
called First Step and asked them to do a site survey to see if they
could supply us with wireless.  Unfortunately, they couldn't; we're not
in sight of the Troy Water Tower, which is the big test.

Nevertheless,  I liked Kevin's question, and I liked Kevin.  I
bombarded him with questions about webmail and security, viruses and
spamblocking, and he answered all of them patiently, thoroughly, and
without using any incomprehensible computerese.  In short, he was
everything I like in a local retailer -- smart, informative, courteous,
and committed to providing excellent service.  This beat the hell out
of my recent experiences with Earthlink's overseas call center, which
told me that the loss of my EDITED BOOK on their webmail server was
really "too bad."

And so, I'm making the switch.  I dropped my Dell CPU off at First Step
this morning for repairs, and I asked them to set up my new First Step
Internet account featuring Propel, which will render my dial-up account
5X faster than Earthlink.  I'll also shave a few bucks off my monthly
bill -- First Step charges $18.95; Earthlink $21.95.  It makes good
sense all around.

First Step is a Moscow-based business.  It's a good business; it
employs a sizable number of people, pays them well, and offers them a
good working environment.  (I intend to write a New West piece on First
Step just as soon as I get my surgical staples out and can drive myself
to town again.)  Furthermore, First Step has hosted -- at no cost --
the Vision 2020 unmoderated list since its inception.  They've done
this in the face of repeated criticism that they ought to shut it down
or kick folks off or otherwise interfere in the free (if not always
easy) exchange of information and ideas and worthless drivel that make
up our fun, funny, freaky group.  I appreciate that, and I appreciate
Kevin Owen.  I also want to put my money where my mouth is.  Sometime
in the next few days, I'll bid Earthlink a less than fond farewell, and
I'll say, "Hello, moscow.com!"  I'm looking forward to it.  And so is
my publisher -- I've asked them to wait to re-send my EDITED BOOK until
after I've switched to a reliable server.

Man!  Those Earthlink ads with the happy fairy tale creatures -- it's a
fairy tale, all right.  Perhaps Jack in the Beanstalk has my EDITED
BOOK?

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com