[Vision2020] SIDEWALKS

Kit Craine kcraine at moscow.com
Wed Dec 7 15:35:45 PST 2005

This is the short answer to Chasuk’s question. Sidewalks are part of
the public right-of-way, which is not the same thing as public
property.  It is a form of easement where the public has the right to
pass over (i.e. cross) private property. The owner of the property has
a legally duty to ensure that people crossing their property can do it
safely. In terms of responsibility and liability, the public sidewalk
is no different than any other spot on your property. If a visitor,
invited or not, is injured because of unsafe conditions, the property
owner is legally liable for the damages. The difference between the
public sidewalk and your property is that you can’t forbid passage to
people who are just walking by.

Perhaps it would be more tasteful to look at shoveling sidewalks as a
form of civic sharing. I labor to clear my sidewalk so you can cross my
property safely and you do the same for me. And those who don’t share,
must sit in the corner for a while.

Kit Craine