[Vision2020] SIDEWALKS

Area Man (Dan C) areaman at moscow.com
Wed Dec 7 12:26:49 PST 2005

Chas muses on the "ownership" of sidewalks.

(Now I'm no lawyer, but I have some very limited understanding, and if I
say something out of turn, hopefully someone can correct me)

I think the sidwalk you "own" is actually within the public
right-of-way.  I can't speak for city streets, but on county roads, if
the road is not deeded, but is public right-of-way through proscriptive
use, you actually own to the center of the road.  But, you don't pay
taxes on that section of road.  It is counted as waste acreage.

I wonder if the same can be said about sidewalks/city streets?  Do we
own to the center of the street, but only pay taxes on what is not
public right-of-way?  If that's the case, I think that is a sort of
"rent" paid to the landowner (the lack of taxation on that part of their
property) that allows public access.

Again, I'm no lawyer, but that's would seem a reasonable explaination in
layman's terms.

DC

P.S.  For the record, if you don't shovel the sidewalk in front of your
digs, you suck.