[Vision2020] The Deceptions of War: A Response to Phil Nisbet and a Request for an Apology

Nicholas Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Wed Dec 7 10:06:34 PST 2005

Hail to the Vision!

Phil and I have traded the phrase “scattergun approach” to
characterize each of our posts, but of course I still think that it
applies only to him.  I was very careful in choosing my examples.  I
chose claims by Cheney or Bush that were contradicted by previous
claims by reputable sources, even their own Defense Department and
other agencies.  Phil was a scattergun because he did not focus on
these claims; rather, he chose to quibble with my interpretation of
the facts, which sometimes led us far from my basic claims.

Phil did not even respond to my first bullet, which was that Cheney
continued to repeat the alleged 2001 meeting between 9/11 hijacker
Mohammed Atta and an Iraqi agent in Prague, even though American and
European intelligence agencies previously stated that this was false.

Phil claims that I deceived my readers by failing to mention some
details in the 9/11 report that qualified the report’s conclusion that
there were no formal, operational ties between Saddam and Osama.  Let
me summarize the details that can be found in the text end noted as 54-
55 and 74-76.   (My html version does not have page numbers.)  There
were three exchanges between Iraqi agents that ended with a meeting
with Osama at the end of 1994.  Osama asked for training camps in Iraq
but did not get any.  When Osama was back in Afghanistan there were
more exchanges in 1998-99.  Osama was offered safe haven in Iraq, but
he rejected the idea.

There are good reasons why these exchanges were evidently shrouded in
suspicion and did not lead to anything substantial. Secular Iraq was
on Osama’s hit list of infidel regimes. Specifically, he urged the
Saudi government to form a Jihadi army under his direction to remove
Saddam from Kuwait. Osama also supported Islamic extremists in Iraqi
Kurdistan who were fighting against Saddam.  I think it is very clear
that Saddam and Osama would have made horrible allies.  If Osama had
gone to Iraq, Saddam would have completely restricted his activities.

Next Phil takes us on a really speculative detour.  He quotes Richard
Clarke and his fears that Osama would seek asylum in Iraq, so it was
better to get him in Afghanistan.  But the obvious place for him to
go, after our invasion, was Western Pakistan where he and his Taliban
allies could and did find ready refuge.  It helped that Pakistani
intelligence agents were very supportive of the Taliban.

Phil completely overstates and exaggerates the Jordian Zarqawi’s
relationship with Osama.  He worked from separate bases in Western
Afghanistan and, after the invasion of Afghanistan, was able to move
into northern parts of Iraq not under Saddam’s control.  Zarqawi also
had a safe haven in Qatar, where a Qatari prince provided him shelter
and at least $1 million.  The irony of course is that we have a
military command post in Qatar.

The first mention of the organization "Al Qaeda in Iraq" and Zarqawi’s
leadership of it is October, 2004.  Before that Rumsfeld and others
had no evidence other than to conclude correctly that on June 17, 2004
Zarqawi was "not Al Qaeda." I’ll simply repeat the obvious point.
Bush’s invasion of Iraq brought Zarqawi and Osama together
operationally, and then only a full year and a half after U.S. troops
arrived. If these ties were so tight, Phil, why on earth did it not
happen sooner? So even with all of Phil’s scattered objections, my
original claim "Zarqawi now heads the main terrorist organization in
Iraq because of the turmoil of the U.S. invasion, not because Saddam
invited him there" or Al Qaeda sent him there still stands.

Phil does not appear to understand the full implication of the
Cheney’s false claim that Zarqawi "ran[a] poisons factory in northern
Iraq out of Baghdad.”  The only confirmed citing of Zarqawi was a
medical visit before the war, and there is no documentary evidence
that anything other than that was going on between him and Saddam.  To
say that Zarqawi “ran” anything from Baghdad is false and deception of
the highest order.

Now with regard to Iraq's capacity to produce nuclear weapons, I have
made a thorough search of the website of the International Atomic
Energy Association (IAEA), and I have not found any prediction of a
mushroom cloud over America or Iraqi nucs within six months. The
report that is most telling is the one from December, 2002, in which
the IAEA had to admit that Saddam was telling the truth about his own
nonexistent weapons program.  You all can read this at
www.iaea.org/NewsCenter/Statements/2002/ebsp2002n010.shtml.  Is Phil
working from a full data set?

In  a March 21, 2004 CNN interview Mohamed El Baradei, Nobel Laureate
of Peace and General IAEA Director, had this to say: “With regard to
the nuclear file, we were pretty convinced that we haven't seen really
any evidence that Iraq resumed its nuclear weapon program, because we
knew we dismantled that program in 1997, and our focus was to see
whether anything has been resuscitated between '98 and 2002.”

Yes, David Albright was a UN, not US, weapons inspector—a minor error
and the only one that Phil caught.  The fact that in January, 2003, he
doubted that Saddam willingness to disarm does not in any way
undermine my point that in December, 2002, Albright rejected the
aluminum tubes as uranium centrifuges and accused Bush of cooking
intelligence for the war. Albright’s full analysis of this issue can
be found at http://www.isis-
online.org/publications/iraq/IraqAluminumTubes12-5-03.pdf.  Again
Scattergun Phil distracts us from the main point.

Contrary to Phil’s claim, there were no terrorist cells in Iraq except
Saddam’s own torture chambers.  Yes, he supported Palestinian groups
but so did most other Arab countries.  Lebanon still serves as a base
for Hamas operatives, but we of course are not planning on invading
that country. When the 9/11 Commission asked experts where we should
concentrate our anti-terrorist efforts they pointed to Saudi Arabia,
Afghanistan, and Pakistan.

Phil asks: what would my solution have been?  We had Saddam contained:
the no fly zones allowed the Kurds to prosper in the North and
protected the Shias in the South.  Hans Blix’s inspection teams had
essentially found nothing except one artillery shell with mustard gas
that could be fired 15 miles.  David Kay’s thorough search after the
war began turned up nothing.

Our original goals with regard to Iraq were met. Saddam was
essentially disarmed of WMDs before the invasion. The UN and the US
Congress had authorized the disarming of Saddam, not his overthrow.
Republicans have long ridiculed Democrats since Carter for their
emphasis on human rights and nation building, but now we have a
Republican President who is trying to do this on the cheap in the
worse place in the world for such an experiment.  The principal task
of a occupation force is to secure the country it occupies.  We have
failed miserably in that task.

Our invasion of Iraq has not stabilized the country or the Middle
East, and it has not reduced the threat of terror attacks around the
world. It has created more terrorists and an Iraqi insurgency whose
force has not diminished. In fact, we did such a poor job of securing
Iraq’s remaining arsenal that Iraqi insurgents now have a huge supply
of artillery shells to make roadside and car bombs for years to come.
And much to El Baradei’s horror, the seals that UN inspectors had put
on Saddam’s nuclear sites were broken after the invasion.  There were
plenty of troops guarding the Iraqi ministry, but no troops at the
antiquities museum or at the weapons depots.  But I’m concentrating on
Bush’s deceptions, not his outright incompetence.

I much appreciated John D’s recent post with a list of dictators who
are oppressing their people.  It would have been much easier and far
cheaper to take out Castro in Cuba or Chavez in Venezuela.  (Pat
Robertson is willing to lead the Marines!)  Far more people have died
because of the Chinese occupation of Tibet than in Iraq and it’s gone
on longer, but we do nothing other than a half-hearted attempt (now
ceased) to support Tibetan guerrillas in Nepal.

The 9/11 panel, now operating with private money, just gave the Bush
administration a failing grade for implementing their
recommendations.  Phil calls me an isolationist solely because I agree
with this bipartisan committee that our ports, cargo planes, chemical
and nuclear plants ought to be secure.

In my piece I drew a parallel between the proxy wars that we and the
Soviets waged in the Third World (with the loss of millions of non-
Russian and non-Americans) to the Bushies war cry of “better to kill
the terrorists in Iraq than in Detroit.”  The civilian causalities are
now in the tens of thousands, and if we “stay the course,” they will
soon match Saddam’s own death tolls over many more years.  How much
longer to people of color have to die for our arrogance and
incompetence?

Phil goes ballistic on this one, accusing me of favoring nuclear war
with the Soviets (!) rather than these third world wars.  Other than
responding to North Korea’s invasion of South Korea and forcing
missiles out of Cuba, I can think of no other Cold War military
intervention on our part that was a wise move.  Certainly not Vietnam
and definitely not the cynical support for the Contras, and certainly
not Ollie North’s insane idea to support the Contras buy selling arms
to our enemy Iran.

In a recent column in The New Republic (11/21/05), Franklin Foer
reminds us that it was Paul Wolfowitz and Richard Perle who in 1976
claimed that the CIA had undercounted Soviet nucs.  A special Team B
was appointed within the Defense Department (sound familiar?), and
sure enough the hawks got what it wanted: “Team B exaggerated the
Soviet threat as badly as the Bush administration botched Iraqi WMD.”
By cooking the intelligence then we continued to ratchet up an arms
race that impoverished the Russian people and continued to fuel the
proxy wars in the Third World.  For us the ends, countering an
exaggerated Soviet threat, justified the means, and we became as evil
as our enemy.  We now justify torture and “rendering” of terror
suspects to foreign torture chambers for the same reasons.  Today Rice
had to apologize to the German government for mistakenly kidnapping
one it citizens and holding him for five months in one of our secret
prisons.

Phil charges me with propagandizing and intellectual dishonesty, but I
have justified my interpretation of the facts.  I think he owes me an
apology for such an outrageous accusation.

One last point.  It is the height of hypocrisy for Phil, a trained
geologist, to claim that I have no business writing about foreign
affairs because I am a trained philosopher/theologian, when he writes
intelligently but not always accurately about foreign affairs.  Get
real, Phil.

The goal of all my UI instruction was to equip my students so that
they could inform themselves for meaningful debate on the issues that
would face them in real life.  Sadly, American teachers at all levels
have generally failed in that goal.  For the most part this has not
been their fault, but the fault of a pervasive anti-intellectual
culture in which reasoned argument and persuasion exist only when
attorneys are forced to make arguments before the Supreme Court.  See
my column on this topic at www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/anti-
intellect.htm.

Nick Gier