[Vision2020] Reynolds Responds to Twigg

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Wed Dec 7 08:43:01 PST 2005

Mr. Twigg,

If you think going to workshops to plan how to blow taxpayers money is
hard work then I would suggest you don't have much of a real job. Many
of us would love the luxury of having such time to fritter away,
especially when it involves spending other's money.
If your group really only wants more fields then why wasn't there more
support for the new high-school and new grade-school which would have
had ball fields associated? Putting it with the school district also
supplies professional supervisors for the kids instead of relying on the
unknown potential crackpot for a coach.
The location of the proposed complex is wrong, wrong, wrong for the
advertised complex. How can any group of viable adults plan 300 cars to
be congregating (and coming and going between games) in a spot that has
a single access? Were any of you at the workshops awake? The distance
away from the children is another obvious blunder in the site selection.
How many children will have reasonable access to that site for their own
recreational uses? Can you picture sending a child of say 11-12 years
old to go play in the new complex?
If you want to personalize my comments fine but don't think for a minute
that I am ashamed of anything I say.
The Costner analogy has to do with the predictions by the Director of
Recreation that the tournaments (22/year he claimed) would be a great
boon to the local economy. Costner built the field at great cost to his
farm and the only ones who showed up were ghosts. That is exactly where
this will lead. No way is there such a gathering of ballplayers in the
region who are dying to come here and play ball. Pipe dream and silly.
You are correct that I am one of these co-authors of the letter. I stand
by that letter as well as a similar letter I have written to the Council
and Mayor. The alternative plan as proposed by the Calverts and designed
by Rowen is a good compromise. I do not however trust the current local
government. Their word does not hold. The 1912 building, the Alturas tax
giveaway, and the incubator stand as monuments to their trustworthiness.
"No tax moneys will be used for these projects".
It is of great importance to me that this complex is scaled down to the
size of the alternative plan (giving two new ball fields for children).
If we do this right the 2.9 million dollars could put ball fields in a
few locations in town making them much more useful to the kids than
jamming it all in one distant location.

James Reynolds
1424 Borah ave
Moscow ID

"The god you worship is the god you deserve."
~~ Joseph Campbell

"Abstract truth has no value unless it incarnates in human beings who
represent it, by proving their readiness to die for it."
  --Mohandas Gandhi

"Modern physics has taught us that the nature of any system cannot be
discovered by dividing it into its component parts and studying each part
by itself. . . .We must keep our attention fixed on the whole and on the
interconnection between the parts. The same is true of our intellectual
life. It is impossible to make a clear cut between science, religion, and
art. The whole is never equal simply to the sum of its various parts."
--Max Planck

Nicholas F. Gier
Professor Emeritus, Department of Philosophy, University of Idaho
1037 Colt Rd., Moscow, ID 83843
http://users.adelphia.net/~nickgier/home.htm
208-882-9212/FAX 885-8950
President, Idaho Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO
http://users.adelphia.net/~nickgier/ift.htm