[Vision2020] 400 Verizon Employees vs. Area Growth

TIM RIGSBY tim.rigsby at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 6 22:06:21 PST 2005

Visionaries:

NSA has asked a very valid question concerning parking downtown and Verizon.
  The question that has repeatedly come up is where did all the Verizon
employees park when they worked near Friendship Square?  This is a great
question and initially I wondered myself where they parked.  I have only
lived in Moscow since 2000 so I really have no idea where they parked.  I
would assume that the Verizon Employees parked behind Main Street in the big
lot across the road from the Daily News.  Carl could you verify this for me?

Anyway, if Verizon employees did in fact park in that lot, there may not
have been a parking problem.  One number that keeps being tossed around is
400+ employees.  Well that leads me to a few other questions.

First, when did Verizon quit housing employees in the current location of
NSA?

Second, what has Moscow's growth looked like in the last 10-20 years?

Third, what has Latah County's growth looked like over the last 10-20 years?

Fourth, what has UI's enrollment done in the last 10-20 years.

Fifth, what about the growth of WSU/Pullman/Whitman County?

Sixth, has the combined growth of Moscow, Latah County, UI, and
WSU/Pullman/Whitman County increased over the proposed 400 former employees
of Verizon housed in the NSA building?

Seventh, could this growth in population have anything to do with the
current parking ( or lack thereof) in downtown Moscow?

Here are some numbers as found on the US Census website and the City of
Moscow website.

2004 Census listed Latah County at 35,169 estimated.
2000 Census listed Latah County at 34,935.
1990 Census listed Latah County at 30,617.
1980 Census listed Latah County at 28,749.

2000 Census listed Moscow at 24,955.
1990 Census listed Moscow at 18,915.
1980 Census listed Moscow at 16,513.

http://www.ci.moscow.id.us/CommDev/CompPlan/Section7.pdf

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/SAFFFacts?_event=&geo_id=86000US83843&_geoContext=01000US%7C86000US83843&_street=&_county=&_cityTown=&_state=&_zip=83843&_lang=en&_sse=on&ActiveGeoDiv=&_useEV=&pctxt=fph&pgsl=860

I would suspect then that Moscow grew at a faster rate than the number of
employees that drove to Verizon during the same time period.  And even if
Moscow did not grow at a faster rate, Latah County probably contributed a
little to the parking issue downtown.

Does anyone (CARL) have an answer to these questions?  Maybe the city
council should look at these questions and research a bit.

Tim Rigsby

Revolution is not a word but an application; it is not war but peace; it
does not weaken, but strengthens. Revolution does not cause separation; it
generates togetherness.
-John Africa, Strategic Revolution