[Vision2020] BS University Aims to Add New Doctoral Programs

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Dec 4 05:57:27 PST 2005

Dale "Doug's Boy" Courtney recently posted in his BLog:

BSU Aims To Add New Doctoral Program
As reported in the 30 Nov edition of the Idaho Statesman:

Boise State University takes the next step to transform itself into a
metropolitan research university Thursday.

The school goes before the State Board of Education to request:

. A new doctoral program in electrical and computer engineering, beginning
next fall.
. Approval to design a new 800-car parking garage near the center of campus
to accommodate growth.

The doctoral program, which would be BSU's third, reflects the school's new
mission under president Bob Kustra to grow a university that will focus more
on research and developing programs with close ties to Boise and Idaho's
business community.

"Doug's Boy" goes on to ask:

"How much of Moscow's no-growth attitude has affected the shift from Moscow
& UI to Boise & BSU?

I may not be able to speak on behalf of the entire city of Moscow, as
"Doug's Boy" feels himself qualified to do, however, let me simply state
that I support Moscow growth.  The type of growth that I support entails
development of local employment whose minimum qualifications extend beyond
an applicant's ability to say, "Good afternoon.  Welcome to Wal-Mart."

One thing that I seriously feel deters Moscow's ability to grow is its lack
of career potential.  Graduates from UI and WSU simply do not want to begin
and end their professional careers at $7.50 per hour.

Take care, Moscow.

Work like you don't need the money.
Love like you've never been hurt.
Dance like nobody's watching.