[Vision2020] A Matter of Basic Math

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Aug 31 05:48:17 PDT 2005

Greetings Visionaires -

At the most recent Planning and Zoning Commission meeting, NSA President
Atwood mentioned to the P&Z that the NSA students, staff and faculty spend
(what he, Atwood, considers to be a conservative estimate of) at least $3.5
million in local businesses each year.  Applying basic math and estimating
the strength of the students, staff, and faculty at an inflated 300, this
equates to each and every person at NSA spending almost $12,000 each year at
local businesses on Main Street.

That is $12,000 outside of such staple expenditures as tuition, rent, food,
gas, etc. that they would spend regardless where they went to school in
town.

I recorded that particular P&Z session where NSA President Atwood made these
comments.  If interested, I could extract his exact words from the
recording.

Thoughts?

Note to Moscow City Council - As often (and as eloquently) as NSA President
Atwood (among others) quote scripture from the podium at various city
hearings, let me quote from one of my favorite books.  The quote goes
something like:

"Not without the consent of the governed."

It's an old book, but I am certain that you have a copy of it somewhere.

"Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of
others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of
hope."

Robert F. Kennedy
(1925-1968, American Attorney General, Senator)