[Vision2020] Hurricane Katrina

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 29 01:14:57 PDT 2005

My fear is that there are over 20,000 people in the
Superdome. The bottom of the Superdome, the entrance,
is below sea level. What happens if they get stuck in
the dome if all the doors, or most of them are
underwater? They would run out of air before they
could all get out.

I guess we can just pray everyone comes out OK.

Donovan J Arnold

--- Joan Opyr <joanopyr at earthlink.net> wrote:

> [...]
>
> "We haven't seen something this big since we started
> the program," said
> Kurt Gurley, a University of Florida engineering
> professor. He works
> for the Florida Coastal Monitoring Program, which is
> in its seventh
> year of making detailed measurements of hurricane
> wind conditions using
> a set of mobile weather stations.
>
> Experts have warned about New Orleans' vulnerability
> for years, chiefly
> because Louisiana has lost more than a million acres
> of coastal
> wetlands in the past seven decades. The vast
> patchwork of swamps and
> bayous south of the city serves as a buffer,
> partially absorbing the
> surge of water that a hurricane pushes ashore.
>
> Experts have also warned that the ring of high
> levees around New
> Orleans, designed to protect the city from
> floodwaters coming down the
> Mississippi, will only make things worse in a
> powerful hurricane.
> Katrina is expected to push a 28-foot storm surge
> against the levees.
> Even if they hold, water will pour over their tops
> and begin filling
> the city as if it were a sinking canoe.
>
> After the storm passes, the water will have nowhere
> to go.
>
> In a few days, van Heerden predicts, emergency
> management officials are
> going to be wondering how to handle a giant stagnant
> pond contaminated
> with building debris, coffins, sewage and other
> hazardous materials.
>
> "We're talking about an incredible environmental
> disaster," van Heerden
> said.
>
> He puts much of the blame for New Orleans' dire
> situation on the very
> levee system that is designed to protect southern
> Louisiana from
> Mississippi River floods.
>
> Before the levees were built, the river would top
> its banks during
> floods and wash through a maze of bayous and swamps,
> dropping
> fine-grained silt that nourished plants and kept the
> land just above
> sea level.
>
> The levees "have literally starved our wetlands to
> death" by directing
> all of that precious silt out into the Gulf of
> Mexico, van Heerden
> said.
>
> It has been 40 years since New Orleans faced a
> hurricane even
> comparable to Katrina. In 1965, Hurricane Betsy, a
> Category 3 storm,
> submerged some parts of the city to a depth of seven
> feet.
>
> Since then, the Big Easy has had nothing but near
> misses. In 1998,
> Hurricane Georges headed straight for New Orleans,
> then swerved at the
> last minute to strike Mississippi and Alabama.

=== message truncated ===>