[Vision2020] Ralph, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 28 23:00:32 PDT 2005

Ralph: I'm only dealing with what the Tanakh says. I'm not trying to
tell you what to believe.

No Ralph you are indeed trying to dictate to somebody else what they
believe.  And you did not answer when specifically sent to references that
show that you are incorrect.

Ralph: "Christianity, since it claims to be a fulfillment of the
Jewish scripture, accepts the sanctity and normative nature of the
books of the Hebrew Bible" (The Oxford Dictionary of the Jewish
Religion, article on BIBLE, by Baruch J. Schwartz, Tel Aviv
University, p. 121).

That’s right Ralph, the Christians use a group of Jewish writings which they
selected and call the Old Testement or the Hebrew Bible.  But the Hebrew
Bible is not Tanakh.  Is this getting through to you?  Jews do not use the
“Hebrew Bible”.  It’s a Christian thing.  Now do you follow?

Ralph: You don't sound like an educated man. If you were, you would
have shown where you think Dr. McKenzie is wrong instead of your
childish remark above.

>From the simple lack of your bothering to go to the referenced websites that
I put in my post, the person who seems to lack education old son is not
typing on this side of the screen.  When or if you bothered to read what the
Rabbi at aish.com had to say, your Dr McKenzie’s argument was quite
adequately destroyed.

And Ralph, you simply blow off what is said to you.  Tanakh is one part of
the picture, only one part of Jewish knowledge and only one part of what is
and was the religion for well over 2000 years.  For you to claim that Jews
did not believe in an after life until some date of your personal desire by
saying it is not contained in Tanakh falls on its face because there is
abundant discussion of an afterlife in Mishnah.  The fact that you
Christians do not accept the oral law traditions of Jewish literature, as
redacted to form Mishnah, is not my problem.

You blow right over Solomon’s pronouncements in Kohelet, which clearly state
the spirit returns to G-d from which it came and that’s in Tanakh. And well
before Daniel.

As for your Jewish Reference, it’s from a book with Commentary by the
Conservative Movement and is greatly at odds with traditional Jewish
understanding of the afterlife.  Conservative Judaism in its current form
may chose to believe what ever they wish to, but they are a relatively
recent development and do not reflect the beliefs of Jews in the rest of the
world or those prior to 1800.  Throwing it out is like asking us to take
what Pat Robertson says as the sole voice of Christians and then lecturing
Christians on what they think or believe from that basis.

>From Wikipedia

“Hebrew Bible refers to the common portions of the Jewish and Christian
canons.  …the term Hebrew Bible only corresponds to the Old Testament in use
by the Protestant denominations.”

They go on to say that the term Hebrew Bible is a cooked up job by some in
acedemia to avoid using Tanakh or Old Testement.  They acknowledge that
Christians added a number of texts which do not fit into Tanakh.

You finsihed off with this;

“Ralph: I quoted from Jewish sources but you ignored them. So who is
anti-Semitic? Knock off the name calling, Phil.

Ralph dear boy, I am Jewish.  You figure I am self hating?  I ignored one
reference in an abundance of goop you peddled and passed on to you numerous
references from Jewish sources that proved that you were wrong.

Rabbinic Jewish thought as practiced from 200 BCE on has always believed in
an afterlife.  They have referenced those beliefs clearly and discuss them
in Talmud.  They further reference that to Tanakh.

And I have been quite mild to you Ralph, not Nasty.  The things you write
are not a lot different than the routines written by the Neo-Nazis on their
anti-Talmudic websites.  I realize that you are not a skin head or a Nazi
and simply asked you to stop writing your personal ideas claiming you knew
what Jewish writings mean or say.  You are being insensitive and
anti-Semitic by doing so.  I did not say or claim that your anti-Semitism
was deliberate, just a lack of sensitivity.

Unlike yourself, Ralph, I have yet to suggest that you are uneducated, which
is not only untrue, but is indeed name calling.  I would have to say
however, that you are obviously ignorant and strongly in need of study.
Please go to the site on Olam HaBa that I previously sent you, get a little
education before trying to lay claims and then maybe you can talk cogently.

Regardless, leave Jewish participation at the door when you decide next to
throw yourself like a rabid wolf at the CCers.

Phil Nisbet