[Vision2020] Petroleum Intelligence Weekly: Pemex Below Exxon & Chevron, etc.

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 27 21:00:56 PDT 2005

Ted

Read the articles you post more carefully.  PEMEX is a state controled
monopoly and unlike Exxon it puts its profits not into an account that goes
to the state holder employees, which is the profits you mention, but into
the tax revenues which are in essence a dividend to the sole shareholder of
PEMEX, the Mexican Government.  You will note that PEMEX provides Mexico
with a third of all its Governmental revenues and that they pay a flat tax
on their gross of 61%.

So while Exxon had a net profit reportable to the shareholders of $7.64
billion dollars for the quarter, PEMEX sent 12.7 Billion dollars off to its
soile shareholder the Mexican Government.  That was in addition to the
$200,000,000 that they kept in hand for future investment, which is the
profit you report as being their income.

Yes Exxon made more moeny, as I had previously noted, but their combined
profits for the last 12 months including the 3Q are still only 29 Billion
dollars net.

PEMEX exported 328,000,000 barrels of oil in the first 2 quarters of 2005
which sold for 12.5 Billion dollars.  Those exported barrels sold at $37.91
a barrel and are most likely to go off at a higher price for the remainder
of the year, a price that was $10 a barrel higher than last years.  Lifting
and export costs subtracted, PEMEX will make almost as much on that exported
oil as Exxon made in net profits for all its operations.  But unlike Exxon,
the funds will simply be passed on to the shareholder, the Mexican
Government.  That does not include the domestic oil market in Mexico or the
down stream end of PEMEX business.

So my point to you sits valid.  PEMEX (Who is solely owned by the Government
of Mexico) has gone from down at number 9 to making as much money as Exxon
in its export catergory alone.

Yes Exxon pays Taxes, however, calling the sole shrareholders cut a tax is
pretty disingenious of the Mexican government.  In essence, since the
Government owns PEMEX, its simply a tax free entity that is passing one
whale of a dividend to the sole shareholder.

I would also point out to you that PEMEX also has other government controled
situations that make it less profitable on the downstream side.  The price
of gasoline is fixed not by the market, but by the government in Mexico, so
the large increase in gasoline proces that Exxon gained on the current
downstream from places other than the US, is lost to PEMEX.  Mexico keeps
its domestic gasoline prices artificially low as a 'social' benefit  You
will find a similar artificially low gasoline price for Saudi Arabia and
most of the other oil producing third world countries.

You note that Exxon lifts close to 4 million barrels of oil a day and that
is about a million gallons more than PEMEX.  If you look at the price of
lifting though, they have high cost and high transport costs, since most of
the wells they own are from small fields spread all over the world.

But it was interesting to note that you did slip in figures that have
further bearing on the subject of Exxon.

"Profit from worldwide oil and natural gas exploration and production
operations jumped 28 percent, to $4.91 billion. Production decreased 4.3
percent, to 3.91 million barrels a day."

Thats because Exxon has been very active in Natural Gas development and is
making money hand over fist in that arena.  There is no comparable in PEMEX
or in Aramco to the NG boom in the USA.  In that particular arena, the
reserves and the production of NG are lead by the USA.

Most of the profits Exxon is making are from down stream products in other
countries and from NG production and sales.  If on the other hand, PEMEX was
run in a manner similar to EXXON, they would be much closer to them in
overall profits and since their overall lifting costs are much lower than
those of Exxon, they would actually stand out as the larger of the two.

But PEMEX low balls its down stream products for the purposes of
governmental social action and also drains PEMEX's till to fund the
government itself.  Its hard to see that we would see a change in PIW
listings because of the way that accounting and ownership treat the two
different entities.  But if PEMEX was a real corporation, as I noted, I
would prefer to have been a shareholder of theirs to being one of Exxon's.

Phil Nisbet