[Vision2020] re: Phil Nisbet on Toleration

Joseph Campbell josephc at wsu.edu
Wed Aug 24 09:39:56 PDT 2005

Phil,

A point of clarification about some comments you made awhile back. (I'm
having trouble sending messages to Vision 20/20 from home.)

My "toe the line letter" did not state that "'some people' needed to stop
making the majority angry."

What I said was, "Maybe if the folks at Christ Church stopped blaming others
and took responsibility for their own indiscretions, we might be able to get
beyond this mess. Maybe if they stopped insulting the majority of people in
town and started to acknowledge our concerns, the rest of us might be able
to believe that their indiscretions were mistakes and not merely an effort
to gain power at any cost."

Of course, you are free to read what every you want into these words but
what I meant was NOT that Doug Wilson should conform to the pressures of the
majority. The phrase "the majority of the people" alludes to another letter
that I wrote where I pointed out that Doug Wilson's comments are offensive
to women, blacks, gays, lesbians, and hippies, a group that in fact
constitute a majority of the folks in this town. Of course, that's a bit of
a cheat since women alone constitute a majority of the people in this town.
But the point is still true. If you add up all of the so-called minorities,
they happen to constitute a majority.

Of course, it is always easier to invent a straw man and criticize him than
it is to try and understand what a real person is trying to say. Likewise,
it is easier to make knee-jerk generalizations about an individual based on
his occupation or associations than it is to get to know him for who he is.

Joe Campbell