[Vision2020] And BTW Keely

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 20 08:44:38 PDT 2005

Keely

The point is exactly that you do not support the racism of Jackson or of
Wilson, yet because they are still taken out of context because of other
accomplishments in their Democratic Administrations, they are indeed still
honored by the current Democratic Party.  Nobody sane would seriously think
that a Modern Democrat would support the kind of racism that those two men
gleefully espoused.  In the same light, I do not think that finding good
things about Robert E Lee, a man who during his life was a good serving
American soldier who fought bravely in Mexico and almost became our
Commander of the Armies at the start of the Civil War, makes somebody a
racist either.

Yet that is exactly what is happening.  People have been identified as
racists because of a painting of Lee on their walls or for giving a lecture
on Lee at the Chamber of Commerce.  If that is indeed the case, then the
other follows as well, if you glory in Jefferson Jackson day dinners, you
also must be a racist.

Rather than throw those kinds of logic at the wall, why not just tone down
the rhetoric on all sides and maybe we might heal the wounds in this
community.

Phil Nisbet