[Vision2020] And another incendary grenade tossed upon the fire

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sat Aug 20 07:54:08 PDT 2005

I come from a family of staunch Democrats, Phil.  Our house was always rife
with politics and commentary, and my parents' friends were union organizers,
civil rights workers, NAACP comrades, educators and peace activists.  My
grandfather, father and I were journalists; they were renown for their
newspaper columns about the Democratic Party and its doings, good or bad.
Both of my parents are still active in the Democratic Party in Tucson.

Not once in my 44 years have I heard of "Jackson Day" in honor of Andrew
Jackson.  Not there, not here, not anywhere.  Further, no one I know would
passively accept the remarks of Woodrow Wilson, either as quaint evidence of
his times, or as a manifesto for the Party.  Frankly, the Democrats I was
raised with, and the ones I know now, consider Jackson and Wilson as
relevant to their activism as Laurel and Hardy.  The folks I know and grew
up with have pictures of Cesar Chavez, JFK, Dr. King, Susan B. Anthony and
Medgar Evers in their offices.

Some Democrats are and have been undeniably racist, as have some members of
my own family.  Others are just obnoxious, ignorant and petty.  But such
aren't the tenets of the Democratic Party, and if you would like to consider
this a denunciation of Jacksonian/Wilsonian racial bigotry from a Democrat,
you're welcome to.

keely emerine mix