[Vision2020] bicycling in Moscow and beyond

rogeram at highstream.net rogeram at highstream.net
Fri Aug 19 10:23:13 PDT 2005

I second Roger's comment and would like to add a brief item I recently learned
from the editor of "Adventure Cyclist" magazine, Mike Deme, in their July
edition. According the Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS,
www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov)traffic fatalities of cyclists in the U.S. have gone down
from 833 in 1995 to 622 in 2003. He further points out that data from the
National Center for Statistics and Analysis
(www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/departments/nrd-30/ncsa)indicate traffic related
injuries
of cyclists account for two percent of all traffic related injuries while
pedestrian deaths make up eleven percent of all traffic related deaths. So it
would seem by the numbers that riding a bike may be safer than walking.

I believe that one factor that helps makes bicycling and pedestrian traffic
safer is having places for cyclists and pedestrians to travel without motor
vehicles traffic. I ride to work in Pullman from Moscow when ever I can and
having the Chipman Trail to ride on makes all the difference in the world.
Still, I insist on exercising my right-of-way on roads in the area and I
believe the struggle to find acceptance for non-motorized modes of
transportation is is very much a two way street. Despite our respective choices
for modes of transportation, Kai and I have reached a consensus on this issue.
Know your rights and responsibilities as it pertains to the rules of the road.

Roger Ames
'72 Motobecane
scratches are the least of my worries, don't you know there is a war on?

"Our decision about energy will test the character of the American people and
the ability of the President and the Congress to govern. This difficult effort
will be the moral equivalent of war -- except that we will be uniting our
efforts to build and not destroy."
Jimmy Carter, 1977