[Vision2020] big box stores?

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 19 10:22:26 PDT 2005

Excellent piece, Bill Bonte.  Thank you for posting it.  One thing
about Couer d'Alene -- unless you're driving through town on your way
somewhere north, you can avoid that strip mall hell just by sticking to
the old downtown.  Take the first exit onto CdA's main drag, parallel
park your car, get out and walk.  The old downtown is still lovely and
unique.  Many excellent antique stores, good restaurants (there's a
great Greek place one block up from the Penny Candy store), a terrific
bookstore, and, lest we forget, there's the lake.  There is no better
place to swim on a hot summer's day than in cool lake water.  Even when
the swimming areas are crowded, lake water never gets gross like the
pool water at the Hamilton-Lowe Aquatic Center.  No boogers, no hair,
and no matter if all the kids in it are peeing . . . Lake Couer d'Alene
is big enough to take it.  I love lake swimming.

On a related note (sort of), one of the many wretched things I
experienced in New Orleans was shopping at an abandoned strip mall.
Only one big box store remained, a Dillard's; I went in to buy shirts
and underwear because the airline had lost my luggage.  If I hadn't
been desperate, I would never have stopped.  Everything else in the
mall had closed.  The massive parking lot was cracked and overgrown
with weeds, the empty stores were boarded up and covered in graffiti;
it looked like the aftermath of World War III.  I didn't think anything
could look worse than a hot, bustling strip mall with a heat-sink
parking lot, but I was wrong.  An abandoned strip mall is far worse.
How much better to live in a town with real character, like Moscow?
How much better to shop on our Main Street or at Spence Hardware or at
Tri-State (Idaho's Most Interesting Store)?

Do not ask for whom the Wal-Mart Supercenter tolls; it tolls for thee.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com