[Vision2020] Ten Commandments Removed:Religious Anti-Gay Monuments In City Parks?

Melynda Huskey melyndahuskey at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 18 13:27:16 PDT 2005

Kai says:

"We are no longer Americans, we are Latin, Native, Euro, Asian, Catholic,
Jewish, Muslim, Protestant....pick your prefix Americans. We cannot go on
separating ourselves into sub-groups, eventually it will lead to genocide."

Is it the existence of sub-groups which creates genocide, or is it the insistence that sub-groups must not exist, the enforcement of one group's point of view at the expense of all others?

The terrifying genocides of the twentieth century (Armenia, the Ukraine, Nanking, Nazi Germany, Cambodia, Congo, Rwanda) arose from extreme nationalism, not from difference.  What drives genocide is the notion that there is a "right" kind of person, and that everyone who is not that kind of person must be exterminated.  It's true that if there were no sub-groups there'd be no genocide.  But that's not because harmony reigns--it's because there's no-one to single out.

Melynda Huskey