[Vision2020] Public prayer on public money

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Wed Aug 17 07:42:50 PDT 2005

I'm wondering if maybe the arguments we've seen, both for and against civic,
public prayer, miss the point.

I pray many, many times during the day, and if you were with me, you likely
wouldn't have any idea when.  Why?  Because my prayers are conversational,
directed to a God with whom I have relationship by grace through faith.  It
isn't necessary for me to stop, announce that it's time to pray, and then
recite some invocation.  It also isn't, according to Christ, desireable.

Prayer flowing from relationship is powerful, meaningful, and generally
private.  Prayer that appears on the agenda, somewhere between roll call and
the Pledge of Allegiance (but always before the approval of minutes!),  is
generally impotent, empty, and ostentatious.  Why?  Because it doesn't come
from an individual's relationship with God, but instead comes from the
misguided idea that as a nation, we need to display our piety not in our
actions, but in our rituals.  Jesus condemned not only the showiness of
public prayer, but also the idea that we could act as we like, confident
that our rituals and traditions would cover us.  We would be much better off
as a people if our leaders cultivated love, justice, and servitude in public
and worshipped in Spirit and truth in private.

By the way, there is a lot of prayer -- private, sincere, worshipful -- in
the public schools.  What isn't there is the rote, instituted and feeble
recitations of inoffensive pabulum to an inoffensive god, and for that I
praise my God.  He has not been "kicked out" of public schools, government
meetings, or anywhere else -- but we certainly make him unwelcome by hanging
our gaudy, showy prayer streamers and balloons at the doors.

keely emerine mix