[Vision2020] Public prayer on public money

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 16 20:52:25 PDT 2005

Kai writes (as per):

> The First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America
> Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
> prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech,
> or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to
> petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
>
> I don't see anything in there that says they "can't" pray beforehand....
As
> a matter of fact I see that it say "prohibiting the free exercise
thereof".
> I don't see anything that says "except in public buildings".
> Seems to me people are free to join in....or not.

And it seems to me that every single court that has considered this case
(on up to the Supreme Court, which allowed the lower court ruling to stand)
has agreed that the Great Falls City Council has no business conducting
public prayers of any sort.  That, if you'll recall, was the gist of the
CNN story Wayne forwarded to the list.  Your reading of the First
Amendment, Kai, while no doubt shared by many citizens both here and in
Great Falls, was not and is not shared by the courts.  Why?  Because while
the members of the Great Falls City Council may pray all they like in
private -- and, as individuals, there's nothing to stop any council member
from praying before, during, or after a city council meeting -- but
*conducting* public prayers amounts to the establishment of a particular
religion for the citizens of Great Falls.  (The important word in the
preceding sentence is "establishment," as in Establishment Clause,
violation of.)

FYI, the "you can join in or not while we pray to the God of our choice"
argument was long ago rejected as a rationale for prayer in public schools.
It should come as a surprise to no one that this argument has been rejected
in the Great Falls case.  The Great Falls City Council has just thrown --
what was it?  $65,000? out the window arguing a case that was settled (as
Melynda has pointed out) back in 1963.

Now, should the Moscow City Council decide to pray to the Flying Spaghetti
Monster (www.venganza.com), I might have to change sides on this issue.  I
might have to join with the Reverend Boyardee to fight for their right to
waste our tax dollars worshipping meatballs and marinara.

Maybe we could ask Gambino's to cater city council meetings?  Holy Eggplant
Parmesan!

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com