[Vision2020] presbyterian form vs. Presbyterian Church

DonaldH675 at aol.com DonaldH675 at aol.com
Sat Aug 13 11:30:03 PDT 2005

Visionaries:
Please delete this email if you are not interested in a discussion of Doug
Wilson's claim to be a Presbyterian.  Since I will not respond directly to  any
post on Dale Courtney's blog <right-mind.us> because of  the type of posters
he allows to enter his cyberspace home - I am  forced to fall back on the
hospitality of First Step and 2020.  I apologize  for that.
R.H.

Dale:
A short analogy is perhaps in order.  I love to watch Professional  Bull
riding.  I know the "inside" lingo, I know how to score a ride, I own  a couple of
pair of blue jeans, I can discuss bull blood-lines and past  performances of
the riders. I know a lot about the PBR  - but all that  knowledge, all that
admiration, and even all my respect for the both the riders  and the bulls, does
not make me a member of the PBR.  I don't  ride bulls I watch other people
ride bulls in the same way that Doug Wilson et  al. aren't Presbyterians just
because they copied Presbyterian church  governance.

Please share with interested readers the Presbyterian (capital P)  session
that Doug Wilson, or Christ Church, is accountable to,  including any in the
relatively comprehensive list that you supplied on  your blog site.

Doug's desperate grasp of the Presbyterian life-buoy was undoubtedly
intended to provide some level of recognizable legitimacy and oversight.   Doug
probably is unhappy about vague references to Neo-Nazis connections in  the
headline of the opinion piece.  I'm willing to bet that most, if not  all,  main
stream Presbyterians share the same repulsion at being  connected to Doug Wilson
and Christ Church.    But let's  rely on Doug's own words to substantiate (or
not) his claim to being a  Presbyterian.

The following is a selection of a transcript made of a Idaho  Board of Tax
Appeals on November 25, 2002.   The initials GD stand for  Greg Dickison, the
initials DW indicate Doug Wilson.

"GD:     “Is that when the  church was first established?”
DW:    “No, the church was  established in 1975 and began meeting on the Lord’
s Day weekly for worship.  Another gentleman, Lowell Carlson was the minister
for the first year and a half  or so.  He took a position in  another town,
moved away and I was the song leader at the time and became the  person
responsible for preaching, presenting the sermons, when he left so for  all but a
year and a half or so in  Christ  Church’s history I’ve been  minister.”
GD:     The name was originally  Community Evangelical Fellowship.
DW:    Actually no.  The original name was Faith Fellowship  but then that
was confused with another church in  Pullman so we changed the name, I  forget
when to Community Evangelical Fellowship which is what it was for the  majority
of our history and then a few years ago we changed the name to  Christ
Church.”
GD:     “Do you remember  exactly when that was when that name was changed?”
DW:    “No, not precisely, it’s  within the last two or three years.”
GD:     I believe that over the  years the governance of Christ  Church is
evolved, if you will.”
DW:    “Yes, that would be a fair  statement.
GD:     “How has it currently  governed?”
DW:    “It is currently governed by  a session of elders,  Our form of
church government is presbyterian, so we have a session of elders which
corporately is the highest authority in the life of the local church.  I serve as one of
the elders, there are  about thirteen, I have to count, thirteen elders, and
I am the elder responsible  for the ministry of the Word and sacrament, but
there, we have ruling elders,  teaching elders and ministers. Three different
kinds of elders but corporately  they come together.  We meet weekly  at the
Christ  Church building, we meet weekly from  6 and 7:30 Thursday mornings and
make  governance decisions, pastoral decision, liturgical decisions [short
phrase that  is unclear]”
GD:     “How long has there  been a regular session of elders that’s
overseen the church?”
DW:    “We didn’t have an  established government when I began preaching in
1977.  We didn’t have any established  government at all.  I attribute this
to the fact that it was the 70s.  [laughter]  It was a strange  time for all of
us.  But we were  just sorta out there.  We were  meeting on Sundays and
preaching and singing doing what churches do but we  didn’t have any established
constitution, confession of faith, church  government.  I began, I was the de
facto minister,  I began a meeting  of responsible brothers, we called them,
you know people who began making  decisions we began making decisions that
group evolved into our elders.  We were pretty young to be elders at the  time.
It evolved into a group of  elders probably within the first few years so by
the early 80s we were  essentially at the local level functioning under the kind
of government that we  have now.”
GD:     “How many elders are  there currently?”
DW:    “About 13, I have to go back  and count
GD:     “And there are also  deacons that that help in the governance?”
DW:    “Correct.  There is a board of deacons and there’s  a board of
elders.  The elders are  responsible for the spiritual, pastoral, liturgical life of
the church.  The deacons are responsible for the  financial, practical,
physical side of the things that need to be taken care  of.  So, Eric Burnett, our
Treasurer  is one of the deacons, so the financial affairs, the budget is
prepared by the  deacons.  The elders approve the  budget, but the deacons
prepare, do the research for the annual budget.  We have a deacon responsible for
computer services,.  He’s the  exorcist,  [laughter]  We have deacons
responsible for the  computers, the deacons fund, for helping families who are strapped,
physical  services and practical services are overseen by the deacons, and
then the  broader oversight is done by the elders.
GD:     “I take it as the  minister of Christ  Church you have studied other
churches and church government and how that functions?”
DW:    “Correct. Yes”
GD:     “Is there anything  usual about this form of government or is this a
common presbyterian form used  by other churches?”
DW:    “This is a common  presbyterian form of government.  Broadly speaking
there is three different kinds of church  government:  One is independent, the
 other is presbyterian, and the third is episcopal.  So Roman Catholic and
Episcopal Church  [unclear] so obviously, Presbyterian Church is presbyterial in
their operation  and that means that our presbyterian form of government
means that we are  connected to a broader set of churches.  So there are, we
belong to the Confederation of Reformed Evangelicals  that’s the CRE.  There are 19
 churches involved in that presbytery.  We have an annual presbytery meeting
each church sends two delegates to  presbytery.  This last year  presbytery
was in Bellvue in October.  Next year presbytery will be in  Houston.  So we are
connected to a national  presbytery and our form of government, with some
adjustments here and there is  typically presbyterian.”
The long and  short of it is Doug Wilson has grafted a form of governance
that he likes, the  presbytery, onto Christ Church and the CREC churches.  Who
cares?  I ask again, what session of any of the branches of the  Presbyterian
Church you mentioned, is Christ Church or Doug Wilson a member  of?  Oh, and
now that I think about it, how 'bout answering this  question too.  Which
session of the Presbyterian Church has declared Doug  Wilson a heretic?
Rose  Huskey