[Vision2020] Rose's countenance

joanopyr at earthlink.net joanopyr at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 8 09:09:24 PDT 2005

You know, I have to look at Rose's "dour, unhappy, grim, killjoy countenance" at least 12 hours per day.  She lives with me, you see, and sometimes it's a sore trial.  For example, I tell her a really great story, like about the time my friend Sally decided to brush her teeth in the dark and wound up with a mouthful of Preparation H instead of Pepsodent, and Rose begins laughing -- cackling, really, guffawing, hooting -- but all without actually cracking her dour, unhappy, grim, killjoy countenance.  It's very confusing in a left-brain, right-brain sort of way.

Booger jokes, fart jokes, jokes about Baptists . . . I don't know what to do.  Rose is laughing like a drain and yet, how can I be sure that she's truly amused?  What if, like a Calvinist wife, she's just faking it?

To paraphrase a certain television ad, it's all about the "ho-ho-ho."

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com