[Vision2020] chlorophenoxy herbicides

Jim m1e2y3e4 at moscow.com
Fri Apr 29 16:43:02 PDT 2005

I am sorry the school bond failed and probably chlorphenoxy herbicide
fear had nothing to do with it but I still feel the need to address the
issue even at this late date.

As someone with a degree in crop science, who was a licensed pesticide
applicator, an agricultural fieldman/farm chemical manager,  a
technician for an agrichemical company doing test plots, a technician in
a pharmacology/toxicology lab and as a technician doing organic chemical
analysis on agricultural products, I have a little bit of background on
the subject of herbicides.

I'd just like to point out a few things:

1. You probably get more exposure to volatile herbicides when you visit
your local retailer who has indoor storage of weed and feed chemicals,
than a student would at a rural school.

2. The people with the most exposure and danger from agrichemicals are
the applicators and farmers who have long-term occupational exposure.

3. Avoidance of overspray is a long considered part of chemical
application. Consideration of factors such as droplet size,
sticker/spreader chemicals, wind speed/direction, chemical used, timing,
and location are all a part of professional herbicide application.

4. Chlorphenoxy herbicides like 2,4-D and MCPA were used on spring grain
crops 20 years ago. Even then, pre and early emergent herbicides were
increasing yields. Those of you who are concerned, do you really know
that these chemicals are currently used on anything but spot treatments?

5. From a toxicology point of view, you should know that not all
chemicals are bad (unless in excess). You can kill yourself with water,
for instance. Not all chemicals are toxic in the amounts in which they
are ingested or  inhaled. Some toxins, for instance aflatoxins, are
naturally occurring and have considerably more carcinogenic potential
than a properly used agrichemical. Properly used agrichemicals might
even be protective against the formation of aflatoxins. Aflatoxins are
"natural" and "organic" but they are not very good for us or our animals.

Let's take care not to give too much credence to people who make loud
pronouncements based on emotional faith in oversimplified partial truths
or downright falsehoods.

Jim Meyer