[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter from UI President White (April 29, 2005)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Apr 29 05:49:16 PDT 2005

Copied and pasted below is today's (April 29, 2005) UI Friday Letter for UI
President White.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends April 29, 2005

Dear Friends,

This week, we open Phase II of our Plan for Renewal to public comment.
Preliminary results are in from an ambitious month-long analysis of 176
academic degree programs at the University of Idaho.  The analysis includes
an evaluation of statistical measures of each program's strength as well as
the identification of linkages with other programs across the university and
with other partners. The statistical measures focus on elements of quality
and economic value.

While providing insight, any such statistical measures are imperfect at best
because of the wide range of national standards and conventions that define
"high productivity" in the diverse disciplines and professions that make up
the University of Idaho. Furthermore, some programs that are 'new and fresh'

do not yet have a track record of productivity. For these reasons and
others, the statistical measures are useful in framing issues; but they
comprise just one of the inputs to an ongoing, comprehensive analysis that
will inform the university community's decisions about its future.

Several programs will receive further assessment at this stage of the
analysis.

We now will consider whether these programs need further investment,
restructuring and consolidation with related programs to improve critical
mass, or in limited cases elimination. On May 16, the provost will make
final recommendations on program changes, and I will forward my decisions to
the SBOE for consideration and final decision at its June 16 meeting.

This process began nearly a year ago, with the formation of the University
Vision and Resources Task Force, and faculty and staff helped guide the
process to where we are today. The final outcome will be internal
realignment of resources to advance the university in meeting the 21st
century educational needs of Idaho. I ask all of you to review the
recommendations posted on the provost's Web page, and that you submit your
comments to president at uidaho.edu.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:
* Four finalists have been named for the position of provost and executive
vice president. They are Douglas D. Baker, vice provost for Academic Affairs
at Washington State University; Brian L. Foster, professor of anthropology
at the University of New Mexico, where he served as provost and vice
president for Academic Affairs from 2000 to 2005; Jeanne M. Gerlach,
founding dean of the College of Education at the University of
Texas/Arlington; and Raymond T. Garza, professor of psychology and
management at the University of Texas/San Antonio and executive director of
the Culture and Policy Institute. Interviews began Wednesday and continue
through May 11 at locations statewide.

* Melanie Call and her husband, Dr. William Karbon, recently made a $25,000
gift commitment to the College of Science for faculty fellowships. Melanie
graduated from the University with a degree in zoology in 1983 and is a
Global Program manager with Amgen Inc. in Thousand Oaks, Calif.  She also
serves on the College of Science Advisory Board and believes that the
outstanding education she received at the University of Idaho enabled her to
achieve her goal of a career in the biotechnology industry supporting the
advancement of science in human health care.

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen

"What is objectionable, what is dangerous, about extremists is not that they
are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say
about their cause, but what they say about their opponents."

-- Robert F. Kennedy