[Vision2020] The Willard/Radavich/Prall Manifesto

joanopyr at earthlink.net joanopyr at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 27 14:36:29 PDT 2005

Dan writes:

"Regarding a closed campus and the "freedom" of teenagers . . . that's
right, they are teenagers, and that means "not adults".  Unless one is 18,
I'm pretty sure you don't quite have the "freedom" to come and go as you
please.  Also, if I remember correctly, the Junior High is a "closed"
campus.  I survived "closed" campuses (campii?), and I'm fairly well
adjusted.  (only truly crazy people think they are completely sane)  Heck,
I even graduated from the U of I.  In 4 years no less!

Besides, where do you need to go during the day anyhow?  Thinkin' about
gettin' me a box van and becomin' a "coyote" for all the illegal high
school border crossers . . ."

Good idea, Dan.  When you form that coyote patrol, would you let me know?
I can howl with the best of them.

FYI, I've now posted the Willard/Radavich/Prall Manifesto to my website,
www.auntie-establishment.com.  Just click on the link at the top of the
page; you can't miss it.  In the meantime, just a couple of observations:

1)  What were Willard, Radavich and Prall doing on the Moscow High School
campus, without the school administration's knowledge or permission,
passing out a written offer to meet with underaged students at any place,
at any time?  (See the last paragraph of the manifesto.)  Can anyone come
on campus and offer anything to students without parents' knowledge or
consent?  What about the Moonies?  Or the Hare Krishnas?  Or the guy
cooking meth in a mobile camper up the street?

2)  I, too, attended a four-year "closed campus" high school.  Only juniors
and seniors were allowed to leave campus for lunch, and then only with a
letter of permission on file with the administration from a parent or
guardian.  This was not a hardship, and, oddly enough, I didn't have to
pass through a phalanx of jackbooted thugs to get to Hardee's.  My school
had a total of 2,000 or so students and four Vice Principals, one
responsible for each grade.  We had student IDs, which our picture and a
note saying "Yes" or "No" to our leaving campus.  We rarely needed to flash
these.  The VPs knew each and every one of us by name and face, and they
manned the doors at lunch time, waving us out.  Neither my person nor my
car were ever searched.  Much of the time, I chose to remain on campus and
eat in one of the two cafeterias, which, unlike the single 90-seat capacity
cafeteria at Moscow High School, were each large enough to seat about 300
students.  The "manifesto" talks about a "car caste system" among students;
if you don't have a car, you're poor.  You're pitiful.  You're picked upon.
How about students who rely (as my sisters and I often did) on free or
reduced lunch?  I suspect that at MHS, nothing says "poor" like being one
of the 90 kids who has to remain on our lovely, convenient downtown campus
in order to eat lunch.

Whoops -- I believe I'm now at post number three, so I'll stop here.
Warning: reading the W/R/P Manifesto may cause seizures, like those
Japanese cartoons of a few years back.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com/manifesto.html