[Vision2020] The Tavern and Libel law

joanopyr at earthlink.net joanopyr at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 26 20:36:05 PDT 2005

Keely writes:

"But wait!  Libel law also recognizes that public figures are fair game --
the law calls it "fair
comment" -- and so anything Phil Roderick says about me is, alas, not
actionable, unless I can prove the above as well as tangible loss or
damages.  Now, I wouldn't think that being a school board member in Moscow,
Idaho, would be so prestigious, but there you go.  I'm a public figure, and
this is part of the territory."

As a public figure, my dear Keely, you are indeed fair game (alas), but
Phil cannot just say any old thing he likes about you.  To paraphrase Oscar
Levant, there's a line between criticism and defamation; Phil has erased
that line.  You know that, of course; you're just being kind and Christian
and forgiving and a lot of other things that I'm not.  In the process,
though, I want you to know that you have robbed me of my dream job as a
bartender at theTrail Mix Tavern.  I was planning to dress up like Miss
Kitty on "Gunsmoke," and Carl was going to be Marshall Dillon.  Or was it
vice-versa?  Anyhow, we were going to make something out of the old CJ's,
something . . . Wild Western.  We weren't going to use beer bottle openers
-- our patrons could either toss the bottles in the air and shoot the caps
off or pop them off with their teeth.  We're talking about what Andreas
would call a class act here.  Spitoons in the corners, loose women and even
looser men, and at least one Blazing Saddles style bar fight every single
night.  I was already out casting for Mongo (and I nearly had Doug
convinced) when you threw this bucket of cold water on my hopes and schemes.

There's a tear in my beer, Keely Emerine Mix!

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com

PS: If the Trail family really is hiring surreptitious supporters, would
they please hire me?  I'd like to be Tom Trail's bouncer.  Don't say you
couldn't use me in Boise, Tom!  You know you could!