[Vision2020] The Tavern and Libel law

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Tue Apr 26 17:43:23 PDT 2005

Speaking as a well-trained journalist, not to mention a friend of Joan
Opyr's, I can say that Phil's attacks fall pathetically flat in front of my
Birkenstock'd toes because I know they're not true.  Libel must be untrue,
must hold the subject to scorn or ridicule, must be made with a reckless
disregard for the facts, must be made with malice aforethought, and must be
public.  I believe those standards have been satisfied.

But wait!  Libel law also recognizes that public figures are fair game --
the law calls it "fair
comment" -- and so anything Phil Roderick says about me is, alas, not
actionable, unless I can prove the above as well as tangible loss or
damages.  Now, I wouldn't think that being a school board member in Moscow,
Idaho, would be so prestigious, but there you go.  I'm a public figure, and
this is part of the territory.

Rest easy, Visionaires -- part of answering to a power even higher than Phil
is that I also get to act with mercy and forgiveness, and I choose to.  I
don't believe that I owe him an apology for anything, nor do I take
responsibility for his behavior.  I'll do what I do as best I can, and I'm
sure he will, too.

keely

joanopyr at earthlink.net" <joanopyr at earthlink.net>