[Vision2020] Support Levy

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Apr 24 10:18:14 PDT 2005

>From today's (April 24, 2005) Lewiston Morning Tribune with a special thanks
to Charlie Gerke

Support levy

I am strongly in favor of the levy being put forth by the Moscow School
District. I have reviewed the work done over the past two years by the MSD
Facilities Planning Committee, and the concerns put forth by the critics of
the proposed plan. I am firmly convinced that the plan is affordable, even
in these difficult times.

I am convinced that the plan addresses a number of other educational and
community needs in addition to the glaring facility concerns at the existing
high school and West Park and Russell Elementary Schools.

Specifically, the plan as proposed provides us with the means to accomplish
a huge task (renovating three facilities and constructing a new one) in an
orderly fashion (using the existing high school for students while the work
on the other buildings is completed).

It allows MSD the opportunity to complete a grade reconfiguaration that will
provide additional educational options for students and resolve facilities
concerns at the sites that are not involved in this levy.

And, at long last, Paradise Creek Regional High School will have a home of
its own with the resources necessary to support their students and staff.
The added daily expense to the average taxpayer amounts to the price of a
good cup of coffee.

This levy is not about "bigger" schools, "MSD waste" or "urban sprawl." This
levy is about using the means at our disposal as a community to provide the
best possible educational experience for all of our children. ...

Charlie Gerke
Moscow

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen

Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will
stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving
path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so
far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.

-Sir Winston Churchill