[Vision2020] Put Biases Aside

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Apr 24 10:06:30 PDT 2005

>From today's (April 24, 2005) Lewiston Morning Tribune with a special thanks
to Lynn Weaver

Put biases aside

Over the last two years I have spent hours reading information, listening to
community patrons and discussing with 20-plus people the needs of our
children in this district. The plan that was set before you is a compromise
between two factions of community members who support education: those who
want buildings remodeled and those who want new buildings.

When focusing on what is most important (providing educationally suitable
facilities for our students), this plan is the best that we could agree upon
given the desires of the community. There are many other advantages to the
passage of the bond which include: increased professional/technical
offerings for all of the high school-age students in Moscow whether
currently enrolled at Moscow High, home-schooled, or private
school-educated, potential increased revenue to local businesses with the
possibility of the community hosting larger events such as sports
tournaments, preservation of neighborhood schools and historic buildings,
less of a negative environmental impact since sports practice fields would
be on the same site as the high school and the bus going between MJHS and
MHS for classes would be eliminated, and increased parking in the downtown
area during business hours, to name a few.

This plan is not extravagant as we took great efforts to create a plan that
took the financial concerns of the community into consideration. It is now
time for the people in the community to understand this plan, to put their
personal biases aside and to vote yes for kids!

For more information, go to
http://www.sd281.k12.id.us/facilities/facilities.htm

Lynn Weaver
Moscow

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen

Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will
stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving
path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so
far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.

-Sir Winston Churchill