[Vision2020] Question 1 PROJECT SPENDING/SECURITY FENCE

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 23 16:40:29 PDT 2005

Mr. Phil;

Not sure if you realize that Dr. Donicht is not a member of the School Board
- she is an employee of the MSD.  Therefore, by law, policy, etc. she has NO
voting rights or concerns when subjects or issues go before the board for a
vote.

The MSD are working hard to get books, but as stated numerous times in
public and private e-mails and meetings, the LEGISLATURE is not an
educationally-friendly bunch of folks.  That is NOT the fault of the MSD,
the School Board, the CQE, the Facilities Committee, etc.  You need to talk
to our elected officials about what to do about funding for our public
schools.  I know I have.

I'd also like to state that NO class is doing without necessary materials
for the kids to be educated.  The teachers do have, and hand out, work
sheets and reading materials for the kids to use in class and for doing
their homework and study work.  There is also the option that EVERY citizen
has of donating monies dedicated to the buying of specific books - if anyone
cares to do that, please feel free to contact the MSD and they will work
with you.

I would like to state that no where is it stated, wished for, wanted or
planned to have "security fence with gate and guard" on the new high school.
  If anyone takes the time to look at any of the schools in our town, they
ALL have some kind of fencing around them.  Why should the new high school
be any different?  I have been by the Trail property this week - there is
already a fence on one side of the land, which I understand was put up by
the city (?) and will remain there.  I don't believe the fence should be an
issue as, again, ALL of the schools have them.  This idea of a "prison
looking high school" I believe is just plain silly and inflammatory in
nature.  It ain't a fact, folks.

>From what I understand of the process, IF the bond were not to pass, there
is always the possibility of the MSD/Facility Committee, etc. to go to work
and again try to get public input and suggestions before it is placed up for
another vote.  This happened many, many times in Potlatch and Troy - we all
know how the Troy school district ended up going and Potlatch came very
close to going the same route before it's citizenery finally passed a bond
for improvement.  I don't get why people are so hesitant to invest in their
children but quick to put the blame on the school districts when things like
buildings needing retiring/remodeling happen.

The old saying "You loose tomorrow spending today looking at yesterday"
comes to mind here.  Let's try to look to the future and not dwell on the
past - can't change it anyway, why not move forward?