[Vision2020] The Daily News: Salary ad was deceptive and disrespectful

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Sat Apr 23 09:33:21 PDT 2005

For those interested in *facts,* the following comes from today's Daily
News.  My sincere *thanks* to Ms. Driskill!

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
Edmund Burke

COLUMN: Salary ad was deceptive and disrespectful

Sue Driskill

I have been associated with Idaho public schools as a business manager for
27 years. In that time, I have come to find that school people greatly value
effective communication, accurate math and interactions that show respect
for all. Jack Wenders' recent full-page paid ad in the Daily News fails to
meet the standards expected by educators.
Effective communication depends upon valid information presented in a clear
and understandable manner. Wenders fails in this standard. His full-page ad
listing individual Moscow School District employee compensation has created
much confusion.

Wenders expended a great deal of time requesting information from the
district regarding employee salaries and benefits. While he uses some of the
information provided by the district, he neglects to include all the data
required to present the real picture of our employee compensation package.

He uses a method of annualizing compensation he claims is recommended by the
U.S. Bureau of Labor. The Bureau of Labor annualizes salaries of teachers
who are on 190-day professional contracts for comparison purposes as needed
for their statistical data. Using the same method to present total
compensation information for Moscow School District employees significantly
inflates the total cost of the salary and benefit package. It appears he has
"annualized" the compensation package for all employees who work less than
260 days per year. Wenders neglects to indicate the base salary for
employees and, by using an annualized factor of 1.263, he inflates the
salary/benefit package by 26.3 percent.

Math and accounting depend upon accuracy as well as understanding of basic
concepts. Wenders fails in this standard as he manipulates data. A beginning
teacher earns $27,500 annually.

Public schools are members of the state retirement system, as are the
University of Idaho, the city of Moscow, and other publicly funded agencies
in Idaho; therefore, the district pays the required Social Security and
Medicare contribution on that annual salary as well as the required
employer's contribution to the Public Employee Retirement System.

The district also provides a group health-care program and contributes to
the employees' cost toward their health-care premiums. For the beginning
teacher earning $27,500, the benefit package, including the Social Security,
retirement, and health-care contributions, is $11,485. The total salary and
benefit package for the beginning teacher earning $27,500 equals $38,985. In
Wenders' ad, he lists a beginning teacher as having an annualized salary and
benefit package of $47,545. It is important to clarify that the beginning
teacher's take home pay is based on the $27,500 salary.

The benefit package offered by our district is similar to any other state
agency or privately owned business. All employers are required to pay the
employer's contribution to Social Security and Medicare whether they are
publicly funded or a private industry. Many large employers provide group
health care to their employees and contribute at least a portion of that
cost. A good many employers also provide some type of retirement plan for
their employees along with a contribution from the employer toward that
retirement plan.

Wenders' numbers do not accurately or fairly represent the salaries and
benefits of the Moscow School District staff. The MSD staff is made up of
400-plus dedicated people who are committed to providing the children of our
community with a quality education. I only wish we could pay them their
"annualized" salaries.

Treating others with respect and dignity is a cornerstone principle of
public education. Everyone has a right to their opinion and an obligation to
vote their conscience on matters related to taxation. However, publishing
incorrect and inflated numbers in an attempt to influence a bond outcome
through suggesting that educators are overpaid is deceptive and
disrespectful to a group of people who deserve better. Through their
dedication and commitment each day, our teachers and staff influence our
children and the future of our society.

Because of the foregoing, we must, with regret, give Wenders an "F" for his
work. In the words of Daniel Patrick Moynihan, "Everyone is entitled to
their own opinion, but not their own facts."

* Sue Driskill is the business manager for the Moscow School District.