[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter from UI President White (April 22, 2005)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Apr 22 06:00:16 PDT 2005

Copied and pasted below is today's (April 22, 2005) UI Friday Letter for UI
President White.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends April 22, 2005

Dear Friends,

I was able to spend several days in the Idaho Falls area this week to attend
the State Board of Education meeting. It was wonderful opportunity to tour
the Idaho National Laboratory, meet with the Idaho Falls Higher Education
Advisory Council, speak to the Idaho Falls Rotary club and meet with area
alumni and supporters. I believe the University can benefit greatly from
innovative partnerships in this part of the state.

Last week, the Alumni Association honored one of our outstanding alumnae,
Janet Randall '65, with a Silver and Gold Award. Janet is a professor in the
biology department at San Francisco State University, and she is well known
for her research work in the field of behavioral ecology in animals.
Equally impressive is her role as a mentor to other women in science. To
that end, Janet established an annual seminar series at UI to encourage
women to become science professors and researchers. It's a wonderful gesture
on her part and we are thankful to Janet for her efforts to mentor and
inspire UI students. She is a role model to which they can aspire.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

~ Blenda Davis of Boise is this year's UI Mom of the Year. She was honored
at Moms' Weekend last week. "Mothers are the support systems for their
children, building off a foundation of love and charity," University of
Idaho student Emily Davis wrote in her nomination letter. "My mother has
become my best friend and she continues to be the one who cares for me the
most in the world." Blenda, who is a member of the UI Parent's Advisory
Board, received a framed certificate and a sweatshirt.

~ The joint University of Idaho and Washington State University NROTC unit
almost swept the awards and competitions at last month's Northwest Navy
Tournament held in Utah. Northwest Navy includes the NROTC units from
University of Washington, University of Utah, Oregon State University and
UI/WSU. The event included regulation drill, exhibition drill, inspection,
individual drill, color guard, rifle and pistol marksmanship, physical
fitness test, physical skills competition and an academic competition. The
UI-WSU unit won first place in the overall competition. "I'm so proud of
these guys and gals that I could bust," said commanding officer Col. Bruce
Barnes.

~ The Vandal Scholarship Fund recently received a $250 gift in support of
athletic scholarships from the Terry Thiessen family of Boise. Terry '72,
Nancy '74 and their daughter, Cassie, a current UI student, gave the
donation in honor of Tim White's presidency. "The University is going
through a difficult period, and we are mindful of the deliberate and
sensitive decisions that he is making on behalf of the entire University
community," wrote the Thiessens in a letter to the Vandal Scholarship Fund
office in Boise. "We were sorry that the University was unable to celebrate
his appointment with an inaugural, but we appreciate his decision to put
those funds elsewhere. We look forward to celebrating many future Vandal
victories with Tim and his family!" The Thiessen family encourages others to
join them in giving to their favorite college, department or program in
honor of President Tim White.

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen

"What is objectionable, what is dangerous, about extremists is not that they
are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say
about their cause, but what they say about their opponents."

-- Robert F. Kennedy