[Vision2020] How MSD will pay for the operation of two High Schools

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 21 23:48:40 PDT 2005

After asking the proponents to the levy how MSD is going to pay for the new
auditorium, athletic fields and operation costs of running two high school
buildings, their response was lower energy costs at West Park and Russell
and renting out the 1991 Annex.

There you have folks. Makes total sense. There is no doubt that with energy
costs skyrocketing the energy savings with energy efficient light bulbs and
double glass we can run an entire new high school, brilliant!

It is clearly been demonstrated to me that MSD has thoroughly thought out
the details of how they are going to fund the operation of the schools and
all the new programs that are going to be offered now that we have less
space in the new school. This is stark contrast to the Coeur d' Alene school
district who build all these buildings with bond levies and now it has to
shut them down because it does not have any money to operate them. Way to
think ahead for the kids.

I think the best thing you can do for a kid is research, ask questions,
think, and then act. Not act on impulse and emotions without thinking
through the potential negative consequences of the actions. A new school is
exciting and would be fun to build and design. However, a new high school is
not the answer to the real problems facing our students and  it will take
resources away from solutions to those problems. You do not get 8 shots at
spending $29 million. You get one, so make sure you are doing it right. A
smaller per student newer high school is NOT where we should be putting all
our eggs.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold