[Vision2020] A speedy little parable

DonaldH675 at aol.com DonaldH675 at aol.com
Thu Apr 21 21:26:25 PDT 2005

Doug Wilson's  posting, "Reference: Hostility and Discrimination,"
subheading "Topic: Moscow Diversity Cleansing" <dougwils.com> might  best be summarized
by the following parable.

The Idaho State Highway patrol is obliged to arrest speeding motorists.   A
trooper parked beside the road is passed by three cars exceeding the  65 mph
speed limit.  Car A was going 66 mph.  Car B was going  70.  Car C was ripping
down the road at 105 mph.  When the driver of  Car C noticed the trooper, he
tooted his horn and flipped the trooper  off.  Encouraged by the driver's bon
vivant attitude, his five middle-aged,  male passengers dropped their trousers
and plastered their  wrinkled, toad-colored asses against the car's windows in
a further  display of disdain for the law and legal authority.
After a long and dangerous chase (with additional backup and tack  strips
laid on the highway) the trooper was finally able to force the  driver of Car C
to pull over.  The trooper approached Car C and asked to  see the driver's
license.  Driver C blustered, "I don't need no  stinking  government license.  God
taught me  how to drive."  The trooper was not impressed with this  response.
  Things began to look serious for Driver C.  His  middle-aged passengers
shamefacedly hiked up their pants and start to  quiver.  The plump bearded fellow
in the backseat actually began to  cry.  Things weren't so darned funny any
more. They turned to Driver C for  moral support -- which in and of itself was
laughable -- but the best defense he  could muster was offered in a sniveling
tone, "But why did you  pull me over when all those other guys were speeding
too?  It ain't  fair!  I'm being singled out.  I'm being rail-roaded, I'm being
 discriminated against.  You're a meanie!"
The old "everybody-else-is-doing-it-so-why-can't-we" was not a very
compelling defense to the trooper, the judge, or the jury. (Driver C had  recklessly
driven through their town one time too many leaving cringing  pedestrians and
damaged vehicles in the wake of his braying guffaws  and horn-tooting
recklessness.)
Moral:
Necessity is the Mother of Invention,
and its Father, a  bold Man of Chest.
But adjudicators examine intentions (and  financial records)
And whining is not a defense.
Rose Huskey